Endless timeouts!!!!

General Topics for configuring, operating and tuning the Megajolt. Also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Operation_Guide">Operation Guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

mikee

Endless timeouts!!!!

Post by mikee »

Is it just me or is this megajolt a bit of a joke ..... i,ve had endless grief with mine and not being a computer expert the whole edxperience has been a nightmare. Endless time outs, communication errors, and other techno garble..... Mike :evil: :evil: :evil:

Funky Diver

Post by Funky Diver »

Hi Mike,

I am guessing that you mean when your PC is connected to MJ is what you mean?

If so...

Has it ever worked?
Which cable are you using?

mikee

Post by mikee »

Hi Funky diver... yeah ... it used to workbut not anymore

I've tried the following;

My old serial pc ....no longer communicates
My laptop with a "prolific" usb adaptor as advised
Updatingthe downloads to v4 as my mjlj is v4

I've just cleared everything off my laptop and tried again to load everything.... mjlj config v4.0.2 installed fin,
but the firmware programming software just says..." hc08sprg.exe is not recognised as an internal or external command" ..... I'm guessing this could ## it up!

None of this makes much sense to me .....any ideas?

Regards Mike[/b]

Funky Diver

Post by Funky Diver »

That .exe is to do with the bootloader, 'fraid I'm not proficient enough on it to help. Brent or one of the guru's will more than likely have the answer :)

mikee

Post by mikee »

Jesus ...... Whats a bootloader!!!!!

mikee

Post by mikee »

Ok ...the latest

start...run....cmd(in the box)... press ok...Black screen appearswith "c:\documents and settings\mike>

What do i type in??

tried : hc08sprg.exe com4 firmware v4.0.2
hc08sprg.exe com4 firmware version 4.0.2
hc08sprg.exe com4 v4.0.2

nothing!!!

Mike :cry:

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Mikee,

Sorry you're having problems. Let's work this through.

first of all, ignore the hc08sprg.exe software- this is to load new firmware onto your unit; this is not needed as the firmware was pre-loaded on your Megajolt unit.

You will want the 4.0.2 config software, which it seems you already have.

You will want to make sure you know what COM port your serial adapter is on. Check out this section in the operation guide:

http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Op ... n_Software

Windows device manager will tell you what port to use. Once you've figured that out, go into the configuration software, under 'tools' and set the COM port to match what you see in Windows Device Manager.

Make sure too the unit is powered up before you connect. If you are testing on the bench, try using a fresh 9V battery.

Let us know what you find out!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

mikee

Post by mikee »

ok....version 4.0.2 config comes up on the screen, device manager says com4.... Ican type in com4 ok ,tps..ok, won't let me tick nomal aspirated.

If I try and download what's already on the megajolt..... timeout

If i try and calibrate tps..............timeout

mike :cry: :cry:

NITROPIXIE

Post by NITROPIXIE »

Mike, welcome to the forum.

Where abouts are you located? If your still having problems and you want to confirm it's not a hardware (megajolt) error then you can send it to me (if you live in the uk) to test on my computer as a confidence check. We will try our best to help you with the problem. Keep up the faith;)
1310 A-series Mini, lightened and built myself. V4 board and loving it

Rasputin22 - The Mini Forum
Rasputin22 - MK1 Golf Forum

Megajolt repair for the UK available

mikee

Post by mikee »

Thanks for the offer Nitropixie....Theres a car club meet not too far from me ,thats on tomorrow, so i'll pop along and see if i can get someone to check it...Might see if anyones got another comms cable i can borrow too.
I haven't given up yet!.... like you say ,keep the faith

regards
mike

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Another way to check if the unit is basically 'alive' is to check: is it controlling ignition advance? This can be checked on the running engine by using a timing light.

If you *can* observe the timing change as you vary RPM (blip throttle), then you can be confident the unit is alive, and you're likely only dealing with comms issue.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

mikee

Post by mikee »

Ok ... better go and buy a timing light!

just tried another comms lead..... still nothing

Mikee

mikee

Post by mikee »

Just tried setting up my old serial pc with new lead.... nothing !!! :cry:

Another wasted weekend!!

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Mikee,

Thank you for your patience. I'm confident we'll get it figured out. NITROPIXIE, thanks for your offer of help!

So- just to base-line the conversation, is this a brand-new installation you're doing or has it been working for a while, and you were just trying to get the software to connect? Some background on the project would be helpful.

thanks,
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

mikee

Post by mikee »

Hi Brent, Have had the V4 installed for about 18 months, bought it ready built with a base map already installed.Things went fairly smoothly and have run it ever since( done about 2000 miles)
It's an 1800 zetec originally running bike carbs...Have never really got on well with the carbs as nobody will rolling road them round here,so have just swapped to Webers. Obviously before i take it to a rolling road i need to get everything up together,firstly calibrate the TPS and then make it easy to alter the map.

Originally I used my old pc with a serial port but would rather take along a laptop to a RR session. Unfortunately neither wants to communicate anymore..

My brother , who is a lot more computer literate than i am is over tomorrow night, i'll get him to read your postings and see what he can do........ He's far more methodical and patient!!! :wink:

Regards Mike