UK short circuit Toyota Starlet

Show off your Megajolt installations, vehicles and action shots here!

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Noggy

UK short circuit Toyota Starlet

Post by Noggy »

Here is the Starlet that my mate Kev runs, I've been helping him get the ignition up and running with the aid of a MJLJ.

Toyota Starlet 2 litre rod 238 by chickenwaahoo, on Flickr

The car is getting on a bit now and would of had a pinto or cross-flow in it once-upon-a-time. It is sort of 2 litre hot rod spec (steel body and wheel arches) but where we race the class is effectively open 2 litre.

Toyota Starlet 2 litre rod 238 engine by chickenwaahoo, on Flickr

Now we've got it running, a paint job to get the sign-writing off is next on the cards.
I never said yes...............

dr.occa

Post by dr.occa »

oh this starlet is HOT! the zetec is an unfamiliar choice to me for it though, but i'm still digging it.
AUTOSPORTLABS
NonStop Tuning
www.86garage.com

"Poverty is not a virtue."

Noggy

Post by Noggy »

Thanks for the compliment. :)
The zetec is a Ford 2 litre 16 valve iron blocked engine with a aluminium head atop.
In the UK it came in 1.8 and 2.0 (there was a 1.6 too, but this was mechanically different) and was fitted to Mondeos and Focus'.
I don't think you had the Mondeo in the States, but I think it was fitted to early Focus' there (not 100% sure on that).
It is a very popular engine for conversions here because of the availability of rear wheel drive gearboxes from other earlier Fords that almost bolt staight on. :D

Broke4speed

Post by Broke4speed »

North America never got the Mondeo, but we had a version of it that was badged as a Ford Contour or Mercury Mystique (IIRC). It had the 2.0 Zetec, although it was a very forgettable car, and usually scrapped at first chance.

Funky Diver

Post by Funky Diver »

Wicked motor mate!!
Noggy wrote:It is a very popular engine for conversions here because of the availability of rear wheel drive gearboxes from other earlier Fords that almost bolt staight on. :D
Especially in the kit car market!!

Personal favourite has to be the MEV Rocket or Sonic7

One day... :P

Cadeo

Post by Cadeo »

Seeing the engine of this car is a great experience. I want to know where you bought such engine. On the other hand, scarlet needs an upgraded engine to avoid overheating.
Last edited by Cadeo on Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Noggy

Post by Noggy »

We did destroy the first engine by revving it too high, which produced more heat than the poor old dear could cope with, and we blew the head gasket.
Second engine has been good so far.

dr.occa

Post by dr.occa »

Noggy, what wheels are those on the starlet in that pic? I'm really digging them.
AUTOSPORTLABS
NonStop Tuning
www.86garage.com

"Poverty is not a virtue."

Noggy

Post by Noggy »

dr.occa wrote:Noggy, what wheels are those on the starlet in that pic? I'm really digging them.
The wheels are called 8 spokes (they really used their imagination there, huh?!) and were made by a company called Weller Wheels here in the UK.
Looking at Wellers site

http://www.wellerwheels.com/

it doesn't look like they make them any more, could be worth an email though.
Hope this helps.