Shields, earths, help please!

EDIS and Megajolt installation related topics. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide">Vehicle installation guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

miniJJ

Shields, earths, help please!

Post by miniJJ »

Hi,

I'm currently waiting for my Megajolt kit to arrive here in England, for my Mini, and I've just been out to buy all the EDIS parts I need. I'm just looking over the wiring diagrams, and would like a few things clearing up! :)

I'm going to use 2 core shielded cable for the vr sensor, and the pip / saw wires. Now, I'm a touch unsure where and how these should be earthed / grounded. Am I right in thinking:

*The MJ and EDIS shields should all be grounded at the same point on the chassis?

*the VR sensor shield should only be grounded at the edis pin 7, not on the sensor end?

*On the shield coming from the pip / saw wires at the MJ end, should this be connected to ground?

I found this diagram, which has been modified by another member, is this accurate? (although I need to know about the shielding on the pip / saw MJ end)

Thanks, JJ :)
Attachments
Is this accurate?
Is this accurate?
earthing poss.png (15.88 KiB) Viewed 7037 times
on a mini adventure...

KLAS

Post by KLAS »

i allways connect the shielding to the EDIS module and nowhere else. workes without any problems

miniJJ

Post by miniJJ »

Thanks alot mate! I had a feeling that was the case. :)

My MJ kit arrived yesterday, and I managed to get it all soldered together and tested in about 4 hours. I'm only 17, and this was my first proper work with surface mount components. I learned the technique on the sequential shift light, then moved onto the MJ unit. It came of great!

I'd like to say thanks and well done on such a good product and kit, with brilliant instructions too.

I'll be sure to post up in the 'powered by' gallery once completed.

JJ
on a mini adventure...

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

We love to hear that, thank you so much! Please spread the word amongst your friends and community :)
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

woodsy483

edi 4 pin 4 shield

Post by woodsy483 »

Thanks, this topic has just answered my question also. This is the first place I have seen the edis pin 4 wired as a shield for the pip + saw as this is how mine was wired when it arrived.Other diagrams only showed pin 7 shielding both pip/saw and vr. I can now carry on with installing the loom into my mini.

Thanks Again
Andy
Liverpool
Uk

DannyP

Post by DannyP »

Pin 4 and pin 7 are internally connected to pin 9(ground) in the EDIS module itself. At least they are on mine, verified with an ohmeter.

Ken555

Post by Ken555 »

I run the set up in the diagram (It was me that posted it originally) for quite a while, with no problems.

I later fitted one of the Beta test rev limiter and modified it to power the coil pack from the MJ unit.

But still the earths are wired as shown, the actual connection is a ring terminal between the spaceframe and the EDIS heatsink I have fitted.