User output kills tach and spark

EDIS and Megajolt installation related topics. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide">Vehicle installation guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

kclm9803

User output kills tach and spark

Post by kclm9803 »

I have a user output operating a low draw vacuum sol. it's set up inverted so it's on until it reaches 3800 rpm.
when I hit 3800 the tach drops to zero I get a bit of misfire, the revs will continue on up but no tach readout. (it bounces a bit)
It's operating the vac unit but no tach above the set threshold (3800)
I disconnect the + lead to vac. unit and all is well, tach reads fine no missfire (except no vacuum controll)
Using version 3 MJL
[/b]

DannyP

Post by DannyP »

Try isolating the solenoid with a relay. If it still kills the spark then I don't know what would be wrong. Bad ground maybe?

NITROPIXIE

Post by NITROPIXIE »

Just to make it clear what your saying, you have a low current draw, vacuum solenoid and the solenoid is activated until it reaches 3800 rpm.

At 3800 rpm and above the cars tacho doesn't work but then your output is not switched on.

Ok i think i get it. I would do what DannyP says and isolate the circuit with a relay as you have proved that when isolated the problem has gone. Sounds like too much current draw at some point in the circuity and kills the tacho. I would do this sooner rather than later just to prevent any possible damage that maybe caused if you continue to operate it like this.

Hope this helps

Ryan
1310 A-series Mini, lightened and built myself. V4 board and loving it

Rasputin22 - The Mini Forum
Rasputin22 - MK1 Golf Forum

Megajolt repair for the UK available

kclm9803

Post by kclm9803 »

I disconnected the the vacuum unit for now.
Here is what I have going on.
I am running a Toyota Variable Induction system (T-VIS)
The way it works is the the solenoid is energized (closed) at all RPMs below the set switch point.
When the preset RPM is reached the power to solenoid is switched off and it opens thus opening the induction control.
I have the user output set to inverted and 3800 RPM, so if I am not mistaken I should have a closed curcit until 3800
So why if it's a load issue is it a problem only when the load is absent?
You can see the sol. connection in the pic, the big black thing is an accumulator, the solenoid is tiny.
Attachments
P1050120.JPG
P1050120.JPG (94.14 KiB) Viewed 5943 times

NITROPIXIE

Post by NITROPIXIE »

I can't work it out at the moment if you say the output is inverted.

It doesn't matter on the size of the solenoid but it does the amount of Amps it draws. Can you put an ohmmeter across the two terminals of the solenoid? If its quite low then it could be drawing too much current for the megajolt unit.

If you look here

http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_ve ... hift_Light

It dictates that you can only draw 500mA or 0.5A of current through the unit. As Resistance = Voltage / Current, then say 14v / 0.5A = 28 Ohms. If the resistance is less then this then it can cause problems.

Just as a general rule it is generally safer to use a relay to protect the megajolt unit from damage. If it does cause damage to the megajolt unit then it should be localised to the ULN2003 chip and isn't difficult or expensive to replace.
1310 A-series Mini, lightened and built myself. V4 board and loving it

Rasputin22 - The Mini Forum
Rasputin22 - MK1 Golf Forum

Megajolt repair for the UK available

DannyP

Post by DannyP »

Ditto what Nitro said!

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hello,

Excellent tips so far. NITROPIXIE and DannyP's analysis is spot on. As it turns out we have actually controlled this exact device via a user output on our turbocharged 4AGE. The standard user output should be able to drive the solenoid valve directly.

How are you feeding the power to the solenoid valve, EDIS module and megajolt? A common circuit, or separate? You may also check ground connection- make sure you have a good ground for the EDIS module and megajolt. make sure everything is grouded to a center location ("Star" grounding scheme).
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

kclm9803

Post by kclm9803 »

Thanks Brent for looking at this thread. I'm powering the T-VIS EDIS and Megajolt from a separate power sources with all being grounded at one point. When you ran the T-VIS unit on the turbo 4AG did you use an inverted user output?
I suspect it's a ground issue, glad to hear I don't need a relay.

you can see the project at this link from the Powered by MJ

http://www.autosportlabs.org/viewtopic.php?t=2454