Midas Gold

Show off your Megajolt installations, vehicles and action shots here!

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Midas

Midas Gold

Post by Midas »

Having just passed the MOT today I can now honestly say that my little car is powered by MJLJ.

The Midas was designed to replace the Mini Marcos, mine is a Mk3 Convertible and was built on a 1986 donor (Austin Metro) in 1996. I am just the third owner, it was originally built as a 998cc but the second owner uprated the suspension/brakes to MG Metro spec and spent a large wedge having a 1330cc engine built professionally by Adrian Dodds.

The engine is based on an A+ block, overbored running Cooper 'S' pistons, Kent Megadyne 266 cam and a very ported head based around MG valves. It's breathing in through a 1 3/4" SU HIF on a Minispares manifold and out through a medium bore maniflow LCB and Midas stainless system.

Adrian rates this engine as an 80hp unit which feels realistic and shouldn't chew the gearbox up.

Anyway, some pics..

Rich

:wink:

DannyP

Post by DannyP »

Very nice, I especially like your dizzy plug and VR mount. Somebody likes aluminium, don't they?

Midas

Post by Midas »

DannyP wrote:Very nice, I especially like your dizzy plug and VR mount. Somebody likes aluminium, don't they?
Thank you, it was a case of whatever was on the shelf in the right size. To be honest I'd rather work brass over aluminium any day. I'm particularly happy with the VR mount, it's right out of the way and you only need to unplug the wire to change the alternator belt.

Rich

NITROPIXIE

Post by NITROPIXIE »

Thats a real nice setup you have there and glad to hear you've got it on the road to enjoy it. Out of interest did you have the engine professionally setup as my engine is oh so very similar and i haven't fully sorted the ignition map out yet and have guessed at the needle as a BDR for the timebeing. Would like to know yours.

Any chance you can put your trigger wheel and Vr sensormount pic in here http://www.autosportlabs.org/viewtopic.php?t=2434

Ryan
1310 A-series Mini, lightened and built myself. V4 board and loving it

Rasputin22 - The Mini Forum
Rasputin22 - MK1 Golf Forum

Megajolt repair for the UK available

Midas

Post by Midas »

Hi Ryan,

I'm currently using the 1380 Midas map that Graham posted on here http://www.autosportlabs.org/viewtopic.php?t=2396, this in turn had been adapted from Ken555's map that he used in his GTM. Carb-wise it is running what Adrian set it up with and I couldn't honestly tell you which needle or whether the profile is standard. What I do know is that the engine revs cleanly throughout and it's really flexible on the road.

When funds permit I'll be having the car set up on a rolling road (got two locally that know the A-series well) and I'll upload the map to here.

Rich
Last edited by Midas on Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Midas

Post by Midas »

Ryan, I'll have a look at the needle tomorrow and let you know what's in there and whether it looks like it's been filed.

I've just pulled the original spec sheet for the engine but there's no mention of which needle was going in.

Rich

NITROPIXIE

Post by NITROPIXIE »

Thanks very much Rich, your a star

Ryan

Midas

Post by Midas »

Ryan,

I've just pulled the needle on the Midas, it's a BA-. The third character has been scrubbed out for some reason and all you can see is the lower part of a vertical character which could be a 'T' or similar.

There's no evidence of flats being filed into the needle so it's either standard or a very neat job.

Rich

DannyP

Post by DannyP »

Midas, I set mine up the same way re: the alternator/fan belt. It works very well, haven't needed to touch it.

NITROPIXIE

Post by NITROPIXIE »

Oh dear thats not good but thanks for looking anyway.

If i mounted my VR sensor again i think i would do it similarly to the way you have. Looks good and solid for sure. :D