EDIS connections....

EDIS and Megajolt installation related topics. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide">Vehicle installation guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Quagmire

EDIS connections....

Post by Quagmire »

Guys,

Just in process of wiring my EDIS up now to run standalone. I have a horrible feeling i have made a major cock-up, wiring the whole lot backwards...

Wiring from the EDI8 diagram on the installation page i am assuming this shows you looking down into the plug from above?(i.e the pig-tail end that you can still see when plugged into EDIS) That would seem to check out with the shape of the plug shown, seeing how you can only insert it one way...However i have just noticed that pin one on the diagram is the opposite end to pin1 on my module! My pin one is at the bottom of the diagram, where the plug notch is centered, not offset.

I have only realised this as i got the whole lot in the car tonight, and have not been getting a spark at all.

Can someone confirm if i have fooed up?

As part of no spark troubleshooting i checked vr sensor- around 3v when running. Tried changing polarity, no luck. Checked all power and earths to EDIS, and at coil connectors. All ok.

AAAAgggggghhhh!!!!

Thanks
:oops:
1984 3.5 LR 90
1959 2.25 LR Series 2

dave9469

Post by dave9469 »

If you use the diagram on the EDIS technical info page http://www.autosportlabs.net/Ford_EDIS_ ... nformation you'll be able to work it out.

Looking at the EDIS module in the diagram with the plug to to top pin 1 is at the left hand side.

Hope this helps.

Quagmire

Post by Quagmire »

That is exactly what i am saying- the actual pin numbers on the module are the opposite way round to those on the MJ installation diagram shown in the installation instructions. Pin 1 on the module is labelled as 12 on the diagram and vice versa... The diagram in the EDIS info page matches the module.

Looks like all my wiring on the loom is therefore back to front- hope the EDIS module isnt fried. :cry:
1984 3.5 LR 90
1959 2.25 LR Series 2

Quagmire

Post by Quagmire »

Well my EDIS module is not toast- rewired everything and i got a lovely display of sparks, with a coilpack on the wing with 4 plugs inserted.

Now need to get coil mount sorted and some HT leads...
1984 3.5 LR 90
1959 2.25 LR Series 2

TwoSheds

Post by TwoSheds »

Brilliant!

I had a feeling that I have read somewhere that the EDIS module is protected internally against shorts and or wrong polarities, but couldn't be sure.. I guess it is!

parky1972

Post by parky1972 »

I think the pictures of the wiring with the EDIS show the connections for the socket as looking at the pins. Rather than the module itself, looking at the pins.

Slightly confusing, but the pin numbers are correct I think..
I hope!

Jason.

dr.occa

Post by dr.occa »

i agree with what parky1972 said in that the wiring diagram of the EDIS connector is of the connector and not of the module. again, keep in mind how pin one is with the key notch is to one side and pin 12 has the "key way" directly in the middle. whether or not you believe you're looking at the module or connector, the key ways will keep your "compass pointing north".

oh, and TwoSheds, how's your composing these days? have you decided to get the second shed yet? awesome handle :wink:
AUTOSPORTLABS
NonStop Tuning
www.86garage.com

"Poverty is not a virtue."

jeffrey 127

Post by jeffrey 127 »

Hello All ! This is my first post on this forum. A few months ago I assembled my first MJ and indeed I must say that it was an enjoyable and satisfying project. Now the time has come to wire it up on my the actual car and indeed I have encountered the same problem as the starter of this thread ! I think that there is no way that pin 1 on the socket as shown in the Edis diagram could ever be pin 1 as per module.If one examines the illustration on the link a few posts before mine one could agree with what I am saying here! Can someone kindly clear this out once and for all please ! I am becoming desperate ! Let's forget the illustrations for now. Can someone really tell what is pin 1 on the actual module.....is it PIP or coil ? that way it would be really clear for everyone! As per illutration of the edis socket it pin 1 is definitely on the opposite side of the module......I'm really confused and beleive me I not stupid. I have been through the forum investigating this issue for a few months now and still I could not come up with a clear answer ,so that's why I'm posting here !
Later I will upload some images of my project engine : FIat 127 sport 1300cc,steel rods,forged pistons,titanium valves and retainers,race cam,4-2-1 exhaust,webers,mj,chrome moly flywheel,paddle clutch and what not ! It's currently on my spare car but will eventually be fitted on my hillclimber !

And by the way ,Happy new year to everyone!

kindest regards

Jeff

jeffrey 127

Post by jeffrey 127 »

Hi Guys,

I am answering all my questions.
This morning I decided to go by my instinct and gave it a try to start up my engine,and hey,it seems like I got it all right except for the sensor poarities! First try no joy! switched polarites on the sensor and there was spark !
So after all pin 1 on the module is definitely pin 1,that is pin 1 on the connector diagram should be on the opposite side! Man am I happy !
Images to follow !

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

jeffrey 127

my projest

Post by jeffrey 127 »

This is the 127 1301cc engine bay of my test car.More images to follow.
Attachments
127enginesmall.jpg
127enginesmall.jpg (159.37 KiB) Viewed 8686 times

jeffrey 127

more detail

Post by jeffrey 127 »

more detail
Attachments
DSCI0005copy copy.jpg
DSCI0005copy copy.jpg (91.05 KiB) Viewed 8683 times