How wide does the 36-1 wheel need to be?

EDIS and Megajolt installation related topics. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide">Vehicle installation guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Dhutch

How wide does the 36-1 wheel need to be?

Post by Dhutch »

I currently have a pressed crankshaft pulley. The outer flange is far taller than the inner or where the belt sits and i was wondering how feasable it would be to machine a 36-1 wheen into this flange to run the ford vr sensor on to drive the edis unit?
- However the material is only around 2mm thick and most trigger wheels i see are more like 5-6mm thick.

Idealy i wouldnt slap a huge cast iron pulley and wheel on, or spend £60+ on a alumium pulley and trigger wheel.

Daniel

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Daniel,

Sorry for the late reply on this.

2mm is pretty thin. Most stick with the 5-6mm width as this most closely emulates the Ford OEM configuration. We haven't tested a tooth profile as thin as you are wanting, so we can't say whether it would work properly.

The best way to verify is to use an oscilloscope to monitor the signal from a trigger wheel with a 2mm tooth profile, compare it against a conventional setup, and finally ensure sure the signal strength is sufficient to *reliably* drive the EDIS module. This can be tested on the bench without investing in the full effort of machining a pulley and mounting to an engine.

If satisfied based on bench-tested measurements, then the wheel can be fitted to the engine and further tested for reliable operation, monitoring for mis-fires or stuttering across the RPM band.

If you're lacking the equipment to perform the first part of the testing, you can cross your fingers and test on the engine immediately. Of course, the worst impact would be the time lost and re-work should the results be less than satisfactory!

Hope this helps...
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Dhutch

Post by Dhutch »

Yeah, i see most are 4-5mm.
- Although i could prberbly borrow the use of a scope, it would be a lot of work to machine the pulley and test for it no to work.
- If someone else comes along that has done the job i will proberbly give it a go, else its a £10 triggerwheel bolted on the front.

Daniel