How do I compensate for a Mis-timed Trigger Wheel?

General Megajolt Questions and Answers

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Rich in Vancouver

How do I compensate for a Mis-timed Trigger Wheel?

Post by Rich in Vancouver »

I know this must have been discussed many times before but I haven't been able to find it.
My trigger wheel is an interference fit on my crank pulley and was installed with the pulley frozen and the wheel heated to 350f. I used Loctite sleeve retainer as a locking agent. When I installed the wheel I screwed up and dropped it on with the ring 5 degrees retarded (following my register mark on the pulley rather than aligned with it) The wheel is on tight, tight, tight and won't be coming off without using a saw!
I understand that it is possible to adjust the software settings to compensate for this but I have been unable to find the info and would really appreciate it if someone could help me out with the info or a link to it.
I am hoping to start the engine for the first time this week and would like to do it on the MJ rather than a distributor.
Thanks very much,
Rich

FWIW: the car is a 1955 MG-ZA Magnette with a Moss Supercharged 1860cc 3-main B-Series

Here is a (not very good) pic: The silver line on the pulley is my register mark which the red line on the ring should line up with. The photo doesn't show the relationship too well due to the camera angle but the silver line is approx half way through the gap between teeth before the red line. so UI figure about 5 degrees off. Note: the engine was not quite at TDC when the pic was taken.

NITROPIXIE

Post by NITROPIXIE »

On the MJLJ configurator, go to Tools, then Global Controller Options and there you will find trigger offset option.

If i am correct you can program in a max of 5 degrees, but i can't remember whether you need to input a - or not since you are retarded. A bit of experimentation should do the trick or it might say in the instruction manuals.
1310 A-series Mini, lightened and built myself. V4 board and loving it

Rasputin22 - The Mini Forum
Rasputin22 - MK1 Golf Forum

Megajolt repair for the UK available

Rich in Vancouver

Thanks for the info Nitro!

Cheers,
Rich

BTW: I am not retarded.....just a little slow.

Badda-bing, Badda-boom! :lol:

sierra2dr

Post by sierra2dr »

Alternatively,another mounting plate could be made.
The Moss supercharger setup on your B-series caught my interest,as I will be aiming for an M45/62 on my DOHC Sierra.
Are you putting boost through carburettors?

Rich in Vancouver

The Moss blower draws through a 13/4""SU. Very simple and reliable.
If the software doesn't compensate for my error I will try slotting the mounting plate.
In hindsight I should have done that from the start but the mount is all but inacccessible
in my application so I am really hoping that the software fix does the trick.

Cheers,
Rich
BTW: I put power to the electrical system today-No smoke! I also turned the new engine over and
am happy to report I have oil pressure and no leaks.
Tomorrow I hook up the EDIS and MJ so I will be keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for ignition.

NITROPIXIE

Post by NITROPIXIE »

All the best for the first start fella, just remember to use fresh fuel, unlike what i did, oops :shock:

I think my engine is about 2 degrees out but its no problem once taken out with the software.

Get a timing light on it on your timing marks and just watch how little the timing fluctuates once running. I think its pretty amazing but then thats just me.
1310 A-series Mini, lightened and built myself. V4 board and loving it

Rasputin22 - The Mini Forum
Rasputin22 - MK1 Golf Forum

Megajolt repair for the UK available

DannyP

Post by DannyP »

I installed mine 2.5 degrees advanced, oops. I have compensated with the software and adjusted my map, so all is good. Really should have left it alone, it ran well before.

Rich in Vancouver

The car is now running on the MJ and I must say I am very happy with the system. I have a V3 MJ with the older version chip so I am not able to update to the later firmware to five me the Global Options page so I just rewrote my map with a 5 degree adjustment. This will get me through the summer and I have decided to install a V4 MJ in the fall and transfer the V3 to my TR7. Now, there's a car that will see an improvement with the MJ!
As for the MG I am still playing around with carb needles trying to get the mixture dialed in. I am waiting for a couple more needles from Burlen which I am hoing will get it sorted, then I will be able to see what the results are.
So far so good!
Cheers,
Rich

spandit

Post by spandit »

Any way to increase this +-5° option? Just thinking I might have screwed up in my trigger wheel mounting