TIMMING QUESTION

General Megajolt Questions and Answers

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

FERNANDOF

TIMMING QUESTION

Post by FERNANDOF »

Hi everybody.
i installed my megajolt, its working well but i would like check the timming advance with timing lamp. because i think it's wrong
but how can i do that? if this ignition work with 2 sparks per revolution

thanks and sorry for my english

davep

Post by davep »

hi
A wasted spark system sparks on two zylinders 1 time every revolution
For exampel if set at 10 degres the timing light will see 10 degres on compestion and exsauts stoke

Dave

MartinM

Post by MartinM »

If you have a normal timing lamp where you look to see where the timing mark is in relation to a fixed point on the engine then it will work perfectly.

If you have a clever digital timing lamp where you set the advance on the lamp until the timing mark is at TDC on the engine block then these normally read twice the advance i.e. if you have to set it to 20, then the advance is 10.

FERNANDOF

Post by FERNANDOF »

Thanks for you answers
i still some cosfused because, i have a normal timing lamp but i check the timing advance it match with the advance what i read in the Megajolt. so i was trying many diferent curves finally i adjust a maximun advance of 50 degres on hi rpms!!!, whit that curve my engine is working almost well but i guess is noy correct because with distribuitor the maximum advance posible is about 30 degres after that strat to do knoks

MartinM

Post by MartinM »

Well you probably do have 50 degrees advance then!

...you just need to check that with the MJLJ disconnected you see exactly 10 degrees of advance at all rpms.

50 is quite a lot at high rpms - the highest I've seen is around 40-42 on a highly tuned engine.

I would be very careful with this advance at high rpms if I was you!

FERNANDOF

Post by FERNANDOF »

I'm still in trouble

my engine is working much better but is limited to 6800 rpm and i don't have any rpm limiter so i would like to know how many rpms i cabable this system or posibles causes.

thanks!!

fernando felix

MartinM

Post by MartinM »

The EDIS and MJLJ are almost guaranteed to work well to 8500rpm - some people report 8800, 9000, 9200 or even 9500....

What is the rev limit set to in the Configurator (on the Options tab)?

At very high rpms it can be difficult to work out what is limiting rpm as it can be fuel, spark or just mechanical limits (e.g. valve bounce etc). Have you had the engine a long way past 6800 rpm on the distributor setup?

FERNANDOF

Post by FERNANDOF »

Hi again MartinM

i'm sorry about the other topic i'm new with this but it wouldn't hapen again and i can't erase it if you can erase it please :D
the rev limit is set at 8000 rpms an yes i had the engine past 6800 on the distribuitor.

before this ignition i had a magneto and it works up to 8000rpms in this engine but i would like to install mjlt because have meny benefits

have you any idea??

i already check the ignition time in the edis and it is at 10 degres working on limp mode.
when i check the ignition time with timing lamp it match with the time what i see on the computer.
maybe do i need any gap adjust in the position sensor?
i'm using a ford coil pack and the position sensor is ford too

i didn't install tha capacitor into the coil could be this the problem?

pd. sorry for my english :oops:

thanks
fernando.