cooked the 2n222a's

Megajolt Kit assembly Question and Answers. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_kit_assembly_guide">Kit assembly guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

stefz

cooked the 2n222a's

Post by stefz »

I've acidentally reversed the power input polarity, the 2N222A transistors got very hot.

I think have blown, none of the Programable outputs seem to work. (I've been using the MAP trigger as I've dont have any other way of triggering - still bench testing it/not in car)

The board still works / I can connect to it and the MAP responds correctly - but no ouputs.

Are the 2N222A's easily heat damaged, I have already ordered replacements.

Anyone else done this to their board..

stef.

Josh_b

been there

Post by Josh_b »

done that, there is supposed to be reverse polarity protection but it doesnt seem that affective, i had smoke coming from one of mine! and it wasnt reversed for that long! i replaced them all and its fine now, (maybe the trannies sacrificed themselfs offering protection to the prossesor hehe)

stefz

I guess better than a cooked chip..

Post by stefz »

I feel better now knowing someone else has done it..hehe

I do hate replaceing components on a PCB takes me ages, Im going to cut the tops of the transisotrs and just pull the legs through individualy when unsodlering, saves doing 3 legs at once.

All the best

stef.

KITT

Solder sucker

Post by KITT »

Why not use a solder sucker? Work great for removing components as once all the solder's gone the component just drops out :o)

Matt

stefz

I have got a sucker..

Post by stefz »

I have got a solder sucker - very old one I think, the sucker tip is made of plastic, and is a bit melted, I will of course try it before anything else..

Stef

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/zbrozek/index.htm

brentp
Site Admin

Use solder braid to suck up t

Post by brentp »

Use solder braid to suck up the extra solder- it works very well. It will remove solder to the point where you can re-insert the new components. Be careful to not overheat the pads, or the traces will lift off of the board.

Unfortunately, the reverse polarity protection doesn't cover the output transistors. Look at the back side of the board- the trace that connects the 6 common points for the diodes to +12 on the power plug should go to the other side of the protection diode.

This will be fixed in the next board version. In the meantime, I'll make a special note in the assembly section.

Brent
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

stefz

all out

Post by stefz »

Hi,

I've got all the transistors out, they all came out suprisingly easily. I've redone my output plug, now its much more neat.

I'm just waiting now for the replacement trasistors & a new case to arrive.

stef.