Whats everyone's impression of MJLJ compared to stock

General Megajolt Questions and Answers

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Redbird

Whats everyone's impression of MJLJ compared to stock

Post by Redbird »

I'm considering taking the plunge, happen to have most of what of what I need already laying around through sheer luck. Pulled an EDIST setup off the wifes old car with the intentions of ebaying off parts later and never got around to it, lol thats my excuse anyway.....

What kind of results has everyone gotten from the conversion? smoother idle, better throttle response etc... Would love to hear everyones stories and impressions.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Welcome-

To get a sampling of results and general feedback, browse some of the postings under the "Powered By" section of the forums.
http://www.autosportlabs.org/viewforum.php?f=9

Hope your wife still has a car to drive!! :shock:
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Redbird

Post by Redbird »

I read through the Powered By forum, lots of good ideas on installs, but also alot of posts pre tweaking of the tables and no follow up. Just trying to get a better idea of peoples thoughts once the tables are right and it been driven for a while.

Oh the wife still has a car, she just gotta stop wrecking them. :lol:

DannyP

Post by DannyP »

Mine is a VW type1 aircooled, started with 170 hp and a distributor. I have not done a rolling road yet, but may. I initially copied the distributor curve w/no load sense. I am on version 10 or 11 from where I started. I just made little adjustments and drove it 50-100 miles for test. Added load sense, with about 8 degrees more advance at part throttle. Rock solid idle, and have a few degrees of "bump up" dialed into it if the idle drops. MUCH smoother on part throttle, where it was not as smooth before. Pulls stronger, seat of pants says at least 10 more horses, maybe more. Big fat precise sparks compared to before. My engine builder suggested 1 degree retard for every 250rpm above 4800. So my advance is 4 degrees less at 5800 as compared to 4800. The engine seems to like it, it is "bike quick" now.

alexander

Post by alexander »

exactly as you suggested, redbird: easier starting, smoother idle, and did away with the spluttering warmup, occasional small backfire through the carbs disappeared, noticeably better throttle response at low speed/high gear situations. i was surprised how noticeable the difference was. absolutely worth the relatively small effort of the installation.

that is in a lotus europa with a 1960s renault 16, 1600cc motor.

alexander.

david jenkins

Post by david jenkins »

For me, the major difference was a rock-steady idle, easy starting and a lot more space on one side of the engine! The extra space was a bonus, as I later fitted a set of 4 bike carbs... :D

Supercharged Nat

Post by Supercharged Nat »

mine: supercharged 2.0l engine. the dizzy (even with a retard capsule) just couldnt give me the advance i want under all load conditions. the megajolt allows any advance i want at any load vs rpm- perfect!.
the engine in standard trim has 98 bhp. with the supercharger one or two other choice mods and the megajolt- 199.3bhp! i firmly believe the megajolt has contributed alot towards that figure.
i also benefit from the already mentioned advantages- smoother idling, easier starting etc. plus with the map switching option, i can have one map for lower grade fuel without the need to worry about detonation and a full on power map for when using the good juice!
you can gain extra fuel economy by increasing the advance under crusing/ idling condions.
basically all production cars should come with Megajolt! :D

david jenkins

Post by david jenkins »

I'd forgotten the dual map! I have my normal map for regular unleaded, and another for super unleaded (which I can't always get, or not at a sensible price anyway).

DannyP

Post by DannyP »

Yes, I forgot the dual map also. Also the built-in rev limit, comes in handy. I wired in three unused red lights in a gauge on my dash as a sequential shift light, another easily installed option: 1) think about shifting, 2) shift NOW, 3) Duh, you hit the limit!

Also, the starting is easier. And initial running during warmup is smoother also.

Basically, there is no comparison to what I had before, it is that good. There also is nothing else that has the features and options that are available to us with Megajolt.

aarc240

Post by aarc240 »

On the first engine, a 2800cc Datsun L28, supercharged & on LPG (propane/butane), MJLJ was good but not really all that noticeable. Sure did help with getting sensible ignition timing though!!
Having detonated that engine, it's now on a carbied LPG L28 and works a real treat. Instant startup, smoother idle, good clean pull all the way through the power band. Opted to use the top map bin to retard the engine rather than use a hard limiter, very successful.
btw, I've never used the Ford coil packs 'cos 1) I don't like the crazy mounting requirements and 2) those stupid HT connectors just aren't available in Australia. I've had good success with Chrysler coil packs, easy to mount on any flat surface and use HT towers same as 99.9% of other brands.

TwoSheds

Post by TwoSheds »

Hi,
I finally finished the wiring and fired up my V8 on MJLJ yesterday - so here are my impressions of it 'out-of-the-box' with an ignition map that has not yet been tuned to my engine.

First a bit of background:
My engine is an old 3.9EFI Range Rover lump that has not been re-built, serviced or even run for three years.
It was always a spin-spin-spin-splutter-splutter kind of starter which often would often stall a couple of times before finally running reliably.
It always had a stumbly tickover.
Pick-up from tickover required a sensitive foot if it wasn't to bog.
When trying to time it with a strobe I found that the spark was jumping all over the place and was sometimes not occurring at all. It's difficult to be certain, but I reckon that the timing was moving over a 15deg range at tickover :shock:
In short I regarded the engine as knackered and I am fitting MJLJ to try and eek-out a bit more life from it before the inevitable re-build.
Note that this vehicle is a minimal expenditure offroader, I am not looking for more power, the V8 has plenty for what I need. My impetus (impeti?) for fitting MJLJ were reliability, economy, waterproofness and the ability to run separate curves for LPG and petrol.

Apart from fitting Megajolt/EDIS, I have changed the plugs and leads. That's it.

Post MJLJ:
1. Starting: After turning the engine over TWICE it burst into life.
2. Tickover: Smooth, steady and reliable.
3. Pick-up off idle: Brilliant! There is a small moment's hesitation if you whack open the throttle, but then it really picks up fast.
4. Timing: With EDIS in limp-home mode it's rock-solid 10deg advance, with MJLJ plugged in there is a smoooth advance curve.

To say that I am pleased is an understatement. Megajolt has given this engine a new lease of life and I reckon that it will be fine for many thousands of miles without the previously expected re-build.

I have yet to 'tune' the advance curve, currently running one I picked up from the library on this site - I think it may be RangeyRover's, but thanks whoever you are - it's doing great! :)

TwoSheds

britlude

Post by britlude »

if you look at the map when you floor the throttle, and you'll see where the stutter is on the table/map... the highlighted 'active' box will dwell on the appropriate load location....

tweak the values in that location, and you might lose the stutter completely...... i got rid of most of my hesitation this way!

:D

TwoSheds

Post by TwoSheds »

britlude wrote:if you look at the map when you floor the throttle, and you'll see where the stutter is on the table/map... the highlighted 'active' box will dwell on the appropriate load location....

tweak the values in that location, and you might lose the stutter completely...... i got rid of most of my hesitation this way!

:D
Good tip! I'll keep that in mind, but at the moment I am not able to get the software onto my laptop and so have no way of monitoring the running parameters. (The map currently in MJLJ is one I installed from my desktop pc)

I am wondering if the stutter is something to do with what RangeyRover mentioned about the vacuum pickup being poorly positioned, but obviously any tuning must wait until I fix my laptop or buy another. May be some time...

At the moment I am just enjoying hearing it run - I keep nipping out and starting it up just to listen to that fruity V8 burble :)

Gilesy998

Post by Gilesy998 »

I basically started looking at MJLJ out of curiosity and it's now up and running VERY successfully. On a tired 104k 998cc Mini, I get:

1 - perfect starting EVERY time
2 - off choke withing 30seconds
3 - rock-solid idle
4 - crisper acceleration and throttle response
5 - pulls happily past 80mph, used to struggle past 70!
6 - waterproof. Puddles are now toys rather than a hazards :twisted:
7 - improved fuel economy
8 - almost maintenance free, and a stock of the important Ford bits now live in my shed, just in case.

Last time the car was dyno'd it did 50bhp and 50lb/ft. I'm perfectly confident to claim there's another 10% there now, and that's on a borrowed map!

The best thing I've ever done on any car is to stick a core plug in the dizzy hole.