Triumph GT6 install

Show off your Megajolt installations, vehicles and action shots here!

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

gt6boy

Triumph GT6 install

Post by gt6boy »

Megajolt = Untapping the potential of your engine: it's as simple as that 8) .
Fitting it to my 1968 Triumph GT6 has achieved the sum of it's disperate performance parts. Distributor fitted cars that are in standard spec will benefit from throwing away the tired weights and springs with the dizzy and mapping the ignition to what the car needs.
But, any car that is not standard will always suffer from a potential mismatch of cam profile, dizzy weights/springs and vacuum advance unit and different induction systems. Megajolt lets you re-dress the balence and actually hit that spark when the engine needs it.
My 2 litre engine has triple SU carbs, aftermarket cam, gas-flowed head etc, so was always going to be fiddly to tune the ignition via the conventential dizzy, but fitting Megajolt has had a massive improvement.
MUCH, much better tick-over, no hunting and now is happy to tickover 700 rpm!
This has meant the carbs are now much happier to balence, as the fatter spark and altered ignition timing allow for sync-ing of the carbs to be better achieved.
The torque improvement having fiddled with the mapping is an astounding improvement over standard. From right down in the rev range, the car pulls like a train now. It's like having an extra 1/2 litre capacity and milder cam profile for torque, but keeping all the power and mid/top end power :lol: .
My 2nd map has proved to be a great improvement on my first, which in it's self was a good improvement on standard.

Fitting the kit to the car was dead straight forward. Making the loom up was no real issue. The whole jo has been a really rewarding exercise from start to finish. Seeing the manifold air pressure is a revelation as well.
Of all the work I have done on my engine, this is by far the best 'bang for bucks' outlay.
Just remains to say a BIG thank you to Brent for making all this possible and keeping this useful information in the public domain by running the forum here as well- cheers! :D :D
Attachments
Carb balancing 17 05 08.jpg
Carb balancing 17 05 08.jpg (39.91 KiB) Viewed 14699 times
Bruce's 2nd map word.doc
(99 KiB) Downloaded 658 times
small car cover.JPG
small car cover.JPG (10.12 KiB) Viewed 14701 times

gt6boy

Post by gt6boy »

A few pics of the install. Coil pack on scuttle. Old dizzy only in situ 'til the tacho is sorted. Mondeo 24v supplied the parts required, timing wheel machined to fit onto Triumph crank boss. Then th MJLU and EDIS unit mounted on a seperate plate in the passenger footwell.
Attachments
small EDIS.JPG
small EDIS.JPG (41.63 KiB) Viewed 14693 times
14042008241.jpg
14042008241.jpg (35.25 KiB) Viewed 14694 times
Small coil pack.jpg
Small coil pack.jpg (62.49 KiB) Viewed 14695 times

gt6boy

Post by gt6boy »

....and finally: get thee behind me Satan! :lol:
Attachments
Into the bin.jpg
Into the bin.jpg (37.61 KiB) Viewed 14691 times

DannyP

Post by DannyP »

Nice job!

I'll need two of those coilpacks to go in my 911 twin-plug.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Nice install and thanks for the feedback.

Love the trashing of your old coil- did you *reaallly* throw it away? it looks awfully nice still. :)

..also is that a photoshopped image on the inside of the lid, or real? very funny either way. :)

gt6boy

Post by gt6boy »

The old leads and coil will live to blight another day on someone's old junkster, via Flea-bay :wink:
Edward Scissor hands was a treat for the binmen(garbage collector) from my eldest daugther. :lol:

mwman

Post by mwman »

If you go for an electronic tacho as well, Chris Witor has had a blanking plug made to fill the hole including the dizy pedestal.
Just shim as before to set the end float on the oil pump / dizy drive gear.
The're not cheap but it does tidy up the engine bay!!

Simon

gt6boy

Post by gt6boy »

Hi Simon. I used someone else's idea and fitted a core plug into the dizzy pedestal! :D
Attachments
Small core plug.jpg
Small core plug.jpg (46.1 KiB) Viewed 14376 times