loss of comunication

General Topics for configuring, operating and tuning the Megajolt. Also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Operation_Guide">Operation Guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

manx1641

loss of comunication

Post by manx1641 »

Hi,

I'm using megajolt on my type 1 1641cc beetle engine, i had it all running and tunable before the winter, but have since built a new engine, i've swapped everything over to the new engine, which was just a matter of plugging it all together, and it runs ok,

because the new engine is a slightly different spec, i need to adjust the timing, but my lap top now won't talk to the mjml!

over the winter my lap top crashed, so i reloaded the configurator form the cd i have, but it comes up with a communication error, saying that the configurator will not work with my installed firmware, and i should update the hardware,

I can't understand how if they were installed together originally from the same source how they can now be different!

can any one offer any help? how can i replace the firmware in my mjml?

ggzilla

Post by ggzilla »

Let's hope it is something simple.

The COM ports give a lot of trouble, and if your laptop crashed, the port may have been turned off or changed on the laptop. I would start with the troubleshooting here: http://www.autosportlabs.net/Troublesho ... t_Lite_Jr.. See the first section about port communication.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Manx,

What was the exact error message from the configuration software? Since you last used the MJLJ you might've mixed up versions of the configuration software. If you're MJLJ has older firmware the newer 3.2.1 configuration software will not work with it.

Just as an experiment, try downloading the 3.0.0 config software to see if that works. If it does, it means you'll need to upgrade the controller's firmware. You can download the older version here: http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V3_Downloads

Let us know what you find out.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

manx1641

Post by manx1641 »

Hi guys,

brent you were right, the controller is loaded with the older firmware, i used the older config and it all works fine, i haven't been on here for a while and i'm not up with the updated firmware, what are the benefits/features of the V3.2 and is it worth upgrading?

i thought about uploading the new firmware to the controller but couldn't remember how to do it! its been a long week!! :?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Manx- good you figured it out.

Check out the firmware upgrade guide in the wiki (how to). It explains the features and how to perform the upgrade.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter