Newbie and having problems

General Megajolt Questions and Answers

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

cooper8

Newbie and having problems

Post by cooper8 »

Hi
New to the megajolt seen. Connecting my laptop and turning on the ignition the software closes down. Has anybody else had this problem??? What to do??? :)

alexander

Post by alexander »

are you, by any chance, using a usb/serial converter? some of these things cause exactly the problem you are having, and there are a number of forum threads into the past on the subject. it appears that the chip used in half the converters in the world, just doesnt like this particular application. IF you are using a usb/serial converter, some thing you could try:

*put an extra serial cable between the mjlj and your converter (success reported at least once)
*buy a different brand converter. i bought a Belkin branded one, rather the ebay item from HK i started with, and fixed the problem for me.
*use a different laptop ie one with a serial connector

regards
alexander

cooper8

Post by cooper8 »

I;m using a serial cable. I do get a signal from the mj, rpm/advance. I just manage to flash before it shut down, but need to solve the problem as i'm getting it RR next week and won't be able to see whats going on.

cooper8

Post by cooper8 »

I;m using a serial cable. I do get a signal from the mj, rpm/advance. I just manage to flash before it shut down, but need to solve the problem as i'm getting it RR next week and won't be able to see whats going on.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hello,

By 'shutting down' do you mean the software crashes with an error, or does it simply hang and stop responding?

Are you able to test on a different computer, for comparison? Also, what version of windows are you using?

Regards,
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

cooper8

Post by cooper8 »

I'm using xp. An error appears then it asks to send to microsoft, i click don't send then the program shuts down.