air/fuel mixture Wide band.Question

General discussion on Autosport Labs, the mission, website, content, etc.

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

alfa boxer

air/fuel mixture Wide band.Question

Post by alfa boxer »

Hi does anyone know of a ready assembled buget unit, alternative to the lm1. This uses wide band Lambda Air/Fuel mixture moitoring. sounds like a great idea for setting up carbs spot on, but its quite expensive for personal/ home use. thanks lee

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

You might want to look at diy wideband kits at http://www.wbo2.com/ . We're running the 2C0 in our MR2 and it works well.

Regards,
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

DannyP

Post by DannyP »

I know of a friend that I can borrow an LM1 from, maybe you can find someone over there that will let you do the same?

nickj

Post by nickj »

A friend is installing two of these in his Jaguar (v12):

http://www.14point7.com/JAW/JAW.htm

He's not finished wiring yet though, so I don't know how it is working out.

I run 3 Innovate LC1 controllers and a DL-32 datalogger in my Jaguar (straight six, three carbs). You're
right about it being the way to go for tuning carbs. What with the Megajolted igniton and the almost
optimal carb tuning (need to try some different needles in the SU's), my car has never before run as
well as now.

Nick

Ratchet

Post by Ratchet »

Okay gonna open my mouth and see how ignorant I am...I am not sure what wideband is but I sure do understand affordable! I came across an unused K&N fuel ratio mixture meter on e-bay for real low investment and bought it. I researched it pricewise and found it was very affordable from K&N. It has a 10 LED scale running from lean to rich and a bit in-between. Haven't installed it yet since I am still building my Midget but just thought I'd let you all know about it
"We make a living by what we get, but we
make a life by what we give"
Sir Winston Churchill

DannyP

Post by DannyP »

I'll bet it is a narrowband unit, which goes from about 12:1 to 17:1(air to gas ratio). Wideband sensors go from below 10:1 to above 25:1. Wideband lets you see exactly where the mixture is. Narrowband is usually used if the mixture is known to be close, as in a factory EFI setup. Then Narrowband is used to fine tune the mixture.

You can build your own narrowband for a few dollars plus an O2 sensor, which could even be used: http://www.scirocco.org/tech/misc/afgauge/af.html

Have fun.

Ratchet

Post by Ratchet »

It's always a great day when you can learn something. It IS a narrowband unit. Thank you for all your help. Bret
"We make a living by what we get, but we
make a life by what we give"
Sir Winston Churchill

NITROPIXIE

Post by NITROPIXIE »

Alfa boxer

If your after a cheap wideband unit and your not using the aux input of the megajolt than the best way to go forward would be to buy the NAW_OEM unit from 14point7.com. It uses a wideband sensor which you have to purchase seperately, amazon/ebay.

The NAW_OEM has two outputs, 0-5v and 0-1v. If you plumb the 0-5v into your megajolt and set the parameters through the software to read the right AFR at the right output voltage, hey presto a way to read off and datalog AFR.
1310 A-series Mini, lightened and built myself. V4 board and loving it

Rasputin22 - The Mini Forum
Rasputin22 - MK1 Golf Forum

Megajolt repair for the UK available

Humpty

Post by Humpty »

As an alternative for the lazy none builder types.... Has anyone looked at these?

http://www.boostcontroller.com/index.php?item=283

Salamander

Post by Salamander »

www.14point7.com

I have a 1.03 and 1.04 "High performance, low cost aftermarket automotive electronics."

james786

Post by james786 »

I have a jaguar, I wanna to fit it in that. Can I do it. Its new thing for me and never heard about this before. I need some guidance for it. Where I can find that.