1977 XC Ford Falcon 351 Cleveland

Show off your Megajolt installations, vehicles and action shots here!

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Mechcano

1977 XC Ford Falcon 351 Cleveland

Post by Mechcano »

Trigger wheel and VR sensor installation.

How too, tips and pitfalls for installing on a 351 Cleveland, it?s a big motor but there?s not much room to mount anything.

The first and hardest discission, where to mount the VR sensor and how to mount the trigger wheel.

I think this is the only practical area to mount the VR sensor, it?s away from fan belts, pullies, radiator hoses and road grime.

The trigger wheel was sourced from a 302 windsor.

The front hub of the Cleveland harmonic balance was machined down to the 302 size and also the front outer edge has to machined at 45 degrees to remove 5mm both vertically and horizontally to allow clearance for the VR sensor when mounted. The missing tooth on the trigger wheel was aligned with the crank shaft keyway of the harmonic balancer and pressed on. As there was not a completely circular machined surface where the trigger wheel is mounted, it was also pinned in four places.

Aligning the trigger wheel as i have, lead to the two pitfalls that i encountered so far.

The timing pointer bolt holes in the block were used to give a very solid mounting point for the VR sensor brackets. The mounting bracket is made from 3/8? aluminium plate, with another 3/8? spacer under the VR sensor to clear the top 5/16? mounting bolt. The two round spacers for the VR mounting bracket were machined from ?? steel rod, there length places the vertical centre of the VR sensor exactly inline with the vertical centre of the trigger wheel. With the size of the material used for the brackets there should be no vibration of the sensor at all. This photo also shows the 45 degree machining to the harmonic balancer as describe above.

There is one of the pitfalls, where the sensor is mounted its obsequies the timing pointer.

The second pitfall, the alternator bracket had to be bent (reshaped) as it was fouling the connector end of the VR sensor. Not a great drama, but a problem that had to be solved none the less.

Re-assemble view without the radiator, as i said, big motor and not much room.

This is work in progress. :D
________
Rhode Island Medical Marijuana Dispensaries
Last edited by Mechcano on Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

37Pickup

Post by 37Pickup »

Hi

Any progress shots since this last post? Also running 351.

Rob
If you think you can or can't...your right!