1974 Corolla TE21: mjlj saves!

Show off your Megajolt installations, vehicles and action shots here!

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

sunray

Post by sunray »

Megajolt to the rescue!!!

Running the datalogger this spring and I read the data later only to find that above 5400rpm the map reading would drop from 102Kpa to 95Kpa. Intake restriction!!!

So I removed my 40mm Solex carbs and installed some mikuni 44's still choked down but with a longer runner intake manifold. Installed some new short stacks per my intake resonance pulse tuning formulas and voila! 105Kpa at 6000rpm indicating a ram effect! And it goes so much better. Vids at autocross below the picture. I moved up 5 spots to 6th overall in street modified beating two of the skyline gtr's!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okmvkzYhTCE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbXRWriusEQ

markmdz89hatch

Post by markmdz89hatch »

now that's a beautiful setup right there. Any reason why you went with the scab off the sort-of COP instead of 4 individual COP's? I'm asking only because I'm considering the use of the Ford COP's, but I can't find too much info on the use of a COP (or similar as what you have there) and the traditional EDIS coil-pack & wires as we're all use to.

During the auto-x events, have you tried running with out the horn socks? A local engine builder here damn near tossed me a beating when I told him i wanted to run with the socks like that because he said it screwed with the way the air flows into the horns.

You mention you went with the Mikuni 44's, but still choked them down. What size chokes are you running on them? Are they the same choke size as the old Solex's?

Where are you located?
-Mark D.

sunray

Post by sunray »

Well I went with the Toyota waste spark coil-packs purely for asthetics. To go with individual cops I would have had to wire two edis4 modules to get the right coil saturation. The Ford cops are a good choice and I have a few just for the chance that I might switch one day.

As far as socks on the horns, your engine builder is correct! They do screw up the airflow and cause turbulent that reduces airflow. I use the socks to drive to and from events and then remove them during. The mikunis are choked to 34mm right now until I get a cylinder head back that has opened up ports (valves are already 40mm). With a 34mm choke the 44's get decent resolution and response so no stumbling or anything. The pure solex I had would always have a spot where the progression was poor and their barrels were far from unrestrictive. The solex came out in the 50's while these mikunis were made back in 1995 so they benefit from many improvements.

In the picture above the stacks are 2.5" but I now have 1.25" stacks and works better. The car is located in Victoria, BC Canada. Thanks for looking!

dr.occa

Post by dr.occa »

you do clean work sunray. long time admirer of your insight sir.
AUTOSPORTLABS
NonStop Tuning
www.86garage.com

"Poverty is not a virtue."

Dean924s

Post by Dean924s »

Can you post up the specific measurements of the coil packs?

1. Depth / reach of the unit in to the head

2 The height above the head

3 The size of the coil above the head. Length & width Or better yet the next time you have one off the car can you take a bunch of photos with a tape measure next to it?

I would be very curious if this could be made to fit under the manifold on my 924s. The engine bay on my car is really cramped so being able to move this would be great. It would also clean up the instillation I think.

Great job on the install!!! I have always liked those early 70's Japanese imports!!!
Respectfully

Dean

Dean924s

Post by Dean924s »

Another note. I was poking around eBay and found you can get the coils new for around $40.00 plus shipping.
Respectfully

Dean

sunray

Post by sunray »

Dean924s wrote:Can you post up the specific measurements of the coil packs?

1. Depth / reach of the unit in to the head

2 The height above the head

3 The size of the coil above the head. Length & width Or better yet the next time you have one off the car can you take a bunch of photos with a tape measure next to it?

I would be very curious if this could be made to fit under the manifold on my 924s. The engine bay on my car is really cramped so being able to move this would be great. It would also clean up the instillation I think.

Great job on the install!!! I have always liked those early 70's Japanese imports!!!
No problem. I just got the car back from insurance. While I was away for a weekend some kids flipped it onto its side.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

!!!!

Hope it's repaired to your satisfaction!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

dr.occa

Post by dr.occa »

sunray wrote:No problem. I just got the car back from insurance. While I was away for a weekend some kids flipped it onto its side.
:shock: freakin' bags! :x
AUTOSPORTLABS
NonStop Tuning
www.86garage.com

"Poverty is not a virtue."

sunray

Post by sunray »

Yes Brent, the car was fixed very well indeed! (maybe better than before the littel rats flipped it)

So here are some pics of the coil-packs with a tape measure. I run them with full reach and the blue dust boot added to fit my valve cover. You can easily make them reach shorter by cutting the wire and boot.

VIDEO! Just because... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LY9Qyay9zY

sunray

Post by sunray »

So the poor old car had a small problem. The 37 year old charging system external regulator shorted to ground and spiked the voltage. It caused some damage to the mjlj rendering it inop. Obtained a new V4 unit and success! Also retrofitted a 1982 internally regulated alternator into the car. Video from the very wet last weekend at autocross.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xU3suD5pZw

sunray

Post by sunray »

V4 running very strong so my bro-inlaw made a movie which will go live later this week. Held fastest time of the day for half the day last weekend. Woo hoo! Thanks Brent!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQC0zgIiqsc

Funky Diver

Post by Funky Diver »

Very nice mate... and a beauty of an engine bay too!!

Spockie-Tech

Post by Spockie-Tech »

as many have already said, nice engine bay :)

Could you say how you got your weber-bodies painted ?
Did you mask up all the brass bits and just hit them with a spray can or is there some other method ? I have a set of triples I'd like to get color coded, but hopefully without pulling them down first.

regards
Brett

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Fantastic! thanks for the video. cool that you got some air there, wow!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter