PC Hangs when car is started

General Topics for configuring, operating and tuning the Megajolt. Also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Operation_Guide">Operation Guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hmm. Trying to think of what variables can we eliminate... have you ever tried a different computer in your testing?

ellis9436

Post by ellis9436 »

I've bein using the same computer since the middle of may. so all the test's since then have bein using my laptop, windows vista with the prolific lead.

I'm kinda thinking along the lines of a loose connection or poor connection somewhere but surely the software would just stop working and then work fine again after another bump perhaps?

ellis9436

Post by ellis9436 »

Okay, last night i went through the wiring, no problems that i could see. i also reinstalled the latest version of the firmware.

So today, it worked all the way into work (30mins) and also worked on the way back, including ticking over for about 5 mins while i talked to a mate for a bit.

So hopefully, this is it sorted, if it works again tomorrow, i'll deffo book the R+R!

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Thanks for the update. And you get the award for patience and perseverance! :) Let us know your R-R results too!

racebmw

Did you ever get to test that FTDI USB converter?

Post by racebmw »

I will be in Spokane next week to do a track day and hopefully get the car on a dyno.

Any thoughts on where I might find one of the USB adaptors that is known to work??

Thanks

Jeff

ellis9436

Post by ellis9436 »

this is the one that i have finaly settled on!

http://www.directusbstore.co.uk/cnb/sho ... _info-null

everytime i've ran the software since its worked perfectlly! just cant wait to get to a rolling road!

racebmw

An interesting fix for the USB/Serial converter problem

Post by racebmw »

I wanted to use the USB/Serial converter as I have more confidence in my new computer. I wondered what would happen if I connected the USB to Serial Converter to the serial cable and then connected the serial cable to the MJLJ. Doing this allowed me to move the USB serial converter away from the MJLJ.

It worked!

Not sure why but the USB converter that previously had not worked whenever the car was started now worked fine. In fact we did 10 passes on the dyno with this setup.

With the serial cable the USB converter was actually outside of the car and away from ignition noise or whatever was confusing it.

Jeff

ellis9436

Post by ellis9436 »

Hay guys, Yoda (my little green mini) went on the rollers back on the 21st (sorry for late post but did a banger rally to casablanca that weekend and only got bk late last night).

The operator had never seen or heard of megajolt but we soon got the hang and after 1 1/2 hrs we managed to iron out a nice smooth 61.5hp

not bad for a alomst standard 1293cc

bon_corno

Post by bon_corno »

I installed my setup few weeks ago. I was experiencing the same problem and I realized that computer freezes whenever I try to use it outside the car. My MJ is under left side of the rear seat of my beetle. So, my solution was easy, keeping the computer inside the car. I could never run the software when the computer was outside the car and I never had problems when using it inside!