PC Hangs when car is started

General Topics for configuring, operating and tuning the Megajolt. Also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Operation_Guide">Operation Guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Sorry you're still having problems. I've tried to reproduce this and will continue to do so. I have on order a newer FTDI USB-Serial adapter to see if I can replicate your problem.

Questions:

1. Does it hang your PC completely or just the MJLJ software?
2. What version of windows are you running, all the way down to service pack, etc. (Go to Properties of my computer to get this information)
3. What version of the prolific and FTDI drivers are you running?
4. Are you able to test with another computer, just to get a comparison?
5. Does it happen only when the car is running, or does it happen any time while the MJLJ is powered up?
6. Are you running the latest 3.2.1 configuration software?
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

ellis9436

Post by ellis9436 »

Answers.

1, when using the PCMCIA card it carashs the whole system. with the prolific just the tunning software
2, Im running windows Vista home premium.
3, not sure on that one, using the software that came with the hardware in both cases
4, I can only try the prolific lead on my mums computer (windows 98 SE) and it just freezes the software
5, Seems to only happen when the car is running
6, Yes i have the latest firmware and software

The problem i was having with the FTDI leads is that i could not get them to act as a COM port, i was using the software from the FTDIChip website for that.

I'm down in the totnes area but not around this weekend.

bhwm

FTDI COM Port

Post by bhwm »

Don't know if this is the problem you have, but it may be of interest. The following information has recently appeared on the FTDI website. It seems that some devices default to not having the virtual com port enabled.
NOTE: If an extra COM port is not available after installing the latest CDM driver with the UC232R-10,
please connect the device and run 'vcp.exe'. Select the device and click "Make VCP".

Alternatively, this can be done manually by opening Control Panel > System > Device Manager then select the USB Serial Converter under USB. Right click on this and select properties, then the advanced tab. Check the box marked "Load VCP" then click OK. Unplug and re-plug the cable and the COM port will be added.
See this link: http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/Evalua ... UC232R.htm

ellis9436

Post by ellis9436 »

Tryed all that with the FTDI leads.
even went through the process of doing it all again with there support team and they even came up blank! so i just gave up on the FTDI leads altogether!

ellis9436

Post by ellis9436 »

Has anyone got any ideas? this is kinda gettin desperate now

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

I'm still working on replicating the problem- I am waiting for a USB-Serial adapter I have on order that has the later FTDI chipset.

On the win98 computer- does it have a built-in serial port? If so, could you try that?

I'm particularly curious why it freezes only when the engine is running. Is this really the case? does it run indefinitely when the power is 'on', but without the engine running?

What if you disconnected the coil pack and cranked the engine for a while?

Regards,
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

ellis9436

Post by ellis9436 »

the win98 computer doesn't have a serial port, so i can't try that.

I shall see to night as to weather or not it freezes when the cars not running and get bk to u.

ellis9436

Post by ellis9436 »

Yay, it seems to be working!

heres what i did.....

Ok, so plugged the laptop into the megajolt and ranup the software, all worked fine without the car running didn't freeze after 5 mins so thought its gotta be ok.
Started engine, and froze after 5 seconds.
unpugged the coil and cranked engine for about 15seconds and it still didn't freeze.
Plugged coil back in and started car, didn't freeze till after 1min had passed.

so i thought what voltage is going to the megajolt pack? unplugged without engine running 12.83 volts. with engine running was creaping up to about 14 volts (is this ok?)
plugged pack back in and ran engine just to see what would happen, didn't freeze after 2mins, so i drove round the yard for about 10mins and all seems good!

so i reckon it was just a faulty connection in the plug.

I'm gona try it again after i have had some tea and i hope it'll all be good!

Thanks for your help, if u don't hear from me u no all is well!!!!!!!!!

ellis9436

Post by ellis9436 »

Ok so now it's not working again.......
after altering the wiring i.e. connecting the PIP signal wire from user out 1 to the correct place :oops: its stopped working again.

it just freezes after 20 or 30 seconds again.
one thing i have noticed is that the programe doesn't freeze completly, its only the vacum and the RPM gauge that freezes, the runtime data screen still scrolls along.

However if i try to upload a configuration or try to do something else the programe does then freeze. if i close the programe and reopen it just freezes again. i have to restart the whole computer to beable to run the programe properly again.

any ideas?

MartinM

Post by MartinM »

Debugging across the Internet is hard 8)

So let's go back to basics 'cos I can't work out what you're running on with all this talk of FTDI, PCMCIA, win98 computers without serial ports (you sure? - Win98 is the era when serial ports were de facto), Vista premium etc :(

1. Are you really really sure the MJLJ really is working ALL the time - does a timing light show that the MJLJ is controlling the advance at all times?
2. With the engine not running, and you blow/suck down the vacuum tube does the Load gauge move as expected?
3. So what PC (brand), what OS and what hardware between the PC and the MJLJ?
4. You need to explain 'freeze' very carefully - everything you see. Is it the PC or the Configurator (I assume the latter)? When it is working, does it seem to work OK - current map bin highlighted, RPM shown OK, vacuum shown OK...and then it freezes?
5. What do you have to do unfreeze it - and does it then work for just a few seconds again, then you unfreeze it etc etc?

ellis9436

Post by ellis9436 »

Okay i shall try and answer the questions and describe what happens as clearly as possable
O and when i mentioned windows 98, i ment xp, sorry.

1. I'm not completley certain that the megajolt is working all the time. i don't have access to a timing light but when the car is driven its doesn't seem that its running poorly (i've bein given a base map from a mate)

2. I haven't actualy tried that (i will tomorrow), but when the megajolt is switched on the vacum gauge moves to 102 kpa and the rev gauge shows, i think 453rpm with the engine not running??

3. I am using an Acer Aspire 5050 running Vista premium. I am using a prolific USB to rs232 cable with a 2metre extension cable.

4. this is the method i have bein using the configuator.
turn on and plug in laptop.
open the configuator software
turn on ignition and get the configuation from the megajolt unit.
start engine, it all runs fine for 20 -30 seconds makes no diffrence if i blip the throtle leave it idlling or at a constant high rpm.

the software then seems to freeze. by this i mean
the outputs shown for the Ignition advance, RPM and load freeze at what ever value they where happing to show. but the runtime data still scrols across the screen showing no values. i can then do one action, i.e. open a new file or change the perspective. before the whole configuator freezes completly. but i can still use other programes on my laptop.

If i close the programe and open again after a few seconds (makes no diffrence if i stop the engine and start the sequence again as described above or leave engine running) the configuator opens and simply reads runtime error at the bottom of the screen.
To get the programe to run again properly i have to completly restart my laptop.

hope this helps a bit

MartinM

Post by MartinM »

Excellent - thanks for taking the time to type all that in!

Maybe it's to do with Vista and Brent can comment on that, as I don't have access to it at all.

Can you try your XP computer?

I think it's important to verify that you're getting MJLJ ignition control and that as far as you can tell with a timing light, it is doing exactly what you expect. Try that and report back...
Martin

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

I agree with Martin that we should establish the MJLJ is affecting your timing- especially after the extra work needed to get the wiring correct. So-

1. Get a hold of a timing light, hook it up to your engine and verify the timing is being affected by the MJLJ- you should see the timing adjust in precise steps no jittery jumps or long pauses. Don't worry about the software at this time.

2. For the software- when it "freezes", does it say "timeout reading runtime data" at the bottom of the screen?
- if so- run the software with the ignition to 'on', but without running the engine. Let it operate for an extended time and watch for the 'timeout reading runtime data'. Does it happen?
- If no problems with above, disconnect your coil pack and crank your engine for a 30-40 seconds (or however long it usually takes to 'freeze'). Does the problem come back?
- Finally run the engine. Does the problem show up then?

For #2 above I'm trying to understand if there's an issue specific with a running engine.

Note- the software has been tested on Vista, XP and windows 2000. it should work in all cases.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

ellis9436

Post by ellis9436 »

Hi guys, sorry its bein a while but work has been a majour issue over the last couple of weeks, but hay s**t happens

Ok i borrowed a mates timing light, hooked it all up and guess what, the timing light doesn't work. fiddled with the conections but still no joy.

Any way i cranked the engine over with the coil disconnected for at least a minute and all seemend fine.

connected the coil back up fired the engine up and it seem's to be working fine! went for a short drive with the laptop still all hocked up and it worked fine for at least 10 minutes.

So fingures crossed it's all working fine. I shall have another go tomorrow and if its working fine then i shall book it up for a R+R session!

I shall let u know how things go!

ellis9436

Post by ellis9436 »

Heres what happend to day then.

Hocked the laptop up to the megajolt unit for the jorney into work and the software froze almost instatnly, reading timeout reading runtime data at the bottom of the screen.
whilst drivng i reset the laptop to see what would happen and when i started the software back up it froze instatly again. so off with the laptop, and carried on into work.

i tried it on the way home, laptop had not bein disconnected, and it worked fine for about 25 minutes, but then it froze with timeout reading runtime data showing at the bottom. i didn't notice any diffrence in the way the car drove.

any more ideas???