PC Hangs when car is started

General Topics for configuring, operating and tuning the Megajolt. Also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Operation_Guide">Operation Guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

racebmw

PC Hangs when car is started

Post by racebmw »

Hi

I have just installed an MLJ on my BMW 2002 racing car. The car starts and runs so the install appears functional.

The problem is with the PC Connection. I can connect to the MLJ and read and write data to it. It communicates fine when the engine is not running.

When I start the engine the run-time data appears for about 20 seconds and then the screen freezes and a communication timeout message appears.

When I check my computer the MLJ Configuration program is running full-tilt absorbing 100% of the CPU capacity. This happens with both 3.0 and 3.1.2 versions. I have to kill the Configuration program with the task manager.

I running Win XP and using a USB to Serial converter.

Again the computer will comunicate fine until the car is started then things go wrong.

The car runs while the PC is frozen. The problem appears to be just with the PC.

I have an older computer with a serial port I am trying to get running. Maybe the USB converter is the problem....

Jeff

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

let us know how it works out with the other PC so we can narrow down the problem. What USB-Serial adapter are you using?

Regards,
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

racebmw

So you haven't hear do of this happening before?

Post by racebmw »

The USB to Serial is a generic made in China one from the local Circuit City/Radio Shack store. It is all I can buy locally.

THe other computer runs Win 98 and I don't have a serial cable so I have to go buy one at the same store.

Should I be looking for a better USB to Serial cable?

Any ideas?

Jeff

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Yes, the last two releases of the 3.1.2 configurator software were specifically around compatibility issues with various USB-Serial adapters.

The adapters that have the following chipset are known to work, with the latest 3.1.2 software:

Prolific Chipset
Huge-Pine chipset
FTDI chipset
+one more that I can't identify the chipset - it's a cheap 'generic' adapter, however.

Also -- i take it you've flashed the firmware to 3.1?

Regards,
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

racebmw

It is an FTDI FT8U2XX

Post by racebmw »

The Driver is v.2.0.0 5/19/2006

Is this the FTDI that is supposed to work?

THanks

Jeff

Yes I have flashed the new version. Worked perfectly. The only difference is that before the screen would freeze immediately when the engine started. Now I get 20 to 30 seconds before it freezes.

racebmw

FTDI website lists two types of drivers

Post by racebmw »

There are VCP drivers that offer Virtual Control of the serial port and

D2XX drivers that allow dll's to directly control the USB.

Which should I be using?

Thanks

Jeff

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Here's a screen shot of the FTDI driver I'm using. It seems to be quite stable. I had tested it on XP, and now on Vista.

Did you get it to work on the other laptop?
Attachments
ftdi_driver_version.jpg
ftdi_driver_version.jpg (21.23 KiB) Viewed 9845 times

racebmw

SO I am using a newer driver...

Post by racebmw »

I did not get to work on the car any more yesterday due to family committments.

Today will be the same. I have to get a serial cable from somewhere before I can try the other cpu.

I was wondering if there is some way to shield the USB cable. I expect the chip etc is in the serial connector itself.

I am also wondering if the coil is too close to the MJLT box even though there is a firewall between them.

I will see if I can find the older FTDI driver somewhere. The new one is on their website.

Thanks for you ongoing help.

Jeff

ellis9436

Post by ellis9436 »

I'm having a similar problem.

My laptop will talk fine to the megajolt unit when the car is not running, but with the car running it simply freezes after 4 or 5 seconds.

I'm using a PCMCIA card to connect to the megajolt, and have downloaded and installed all the uptodate software/firmware.

Pease Help!

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

What brand PCMCIA-Serial adapter are you using?

Have you tried a different adapter, like a common USB->Serial cable?
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

ellis9436

Post by ellis9436 »

The PCMCIA card is produced by BBL

I have tried using 2 diffrent usb to serial cables (FTDI chip) but could not get the cables to work properly at all. i gave up and turned to the PCMCIA card.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

I'm working on a known issue with a later variant of the FTDI chipset. I discovered that one FTDI chipset works, the other still has problems.

You can try another USB-serial cable- the prolific or hugepine chipset adapters work, and they are inexpensive.

Thanks,
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

ellis9436

Post by ellis9436 »

Ok i shall see if i can get hold of another USB convertor! I'm getting quite a collection of these now!

ellis9436

Post by ellis9436 »

I've now got myself a Prolific usb convertor, i also bought a 2m extension lead at the same time

It all started well, worked a treat, however after about 45seconds it stopped and froze again. tryed it a couple of times and every time the same thing happend.

i also tryed it again with my pcmcia card + extension lead and the same thing happend although the hole computer froze not just the program

I need help!!!!!

MartinM

Post by MartinM »

Where are you in Devon - I shall be in North Devon at the weekend.....