machined pulley or toother wheel

Megajolt Kit assembly Question and Answers. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_kit_assembly_guide">Kit assembly guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

dave9469

machined pulley or toother wheel

Post by dave9469 »

Has anybody had experience with machining the teeth into an existing pulley instead of fitting a toothed wheel?

If I go the pulley route, does anybody know if the sensor will work looking at alloy teeth instead of steal?

What is the minimum diameter that a wheel (or pulley) could be?

Regards

Dave

fikus01

Post by fikus01 »

dont know if this will help much but

yes people have machined the pulley damper instead of fitting the toothed wheel but it will flex when the engine is spinning and can alter timing tho by how much i really dont know!

really couldnt say if it would work with alloy, i've only seen steel wheels and pulleys so my vote goes with no it wont work!

i have seen a 3.5" diameter wheel tho im sure bigger than that is better!!

what car is this all for?
DO SOMETHING SILLY, TURBO AN 1100CC METRO :)

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Although the 36-1 pattern can be machined in pulleys, they must be made from a ferrous material (steel or cast iron) to work with the sensor.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

dave9469

Post by dave9469 »

Somebody posted this on another forum to the same question. Has anybody heard of using magnets on an alloy wheel before?

You might also be able to drill small holes aroung the outside of your existing pully with an indexing head, then locktite small radioshack (1/8) rare earth magnets into the holes, you would be able to use as many as needed to fit your application then, and you could use an aluminum pulley

DannyP

Post by DannyP »

I saw a pic where someone drilled and tapped 35 holes and left one blank space, then loctited hex-head bolts in the holes, and it worked fine.