V4 board suggestions

Discussion on Future Megajolt hardware / software upgrades.

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

aarc240

V4 board suggestions

Post by aarc240 »

As there will eventually be a board update at some time, here are a couple of suggestions.

Reposition the Molex connector toward the opposite side of the case to make space available on the end plate for a bulkhead vacuum port in line with the sensor to eliminate stress.
There should be no need to fit a vacuum pipe with an S bend in it.

Make provision for a current limiting resistor between the 'option' input pin and the zener diode.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I have a list of improvements to make... as they say, hindsight is 20/20. :)

aarc240

Post by aarc240 »

Another one to add to the new version board.

Connect R5 to PIP - I used pin 9 of the MAX232 and disconnected R5 from U1 pin 13 / R1.

This eliminates most of the problems with the TACH-OUT signal and the existing R5 / T2 / R2 arrangement avoids loading PIP.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

So far there haven't been any reported problems with PIP current loading but it is a good suggestion regardless. Thank you again for the feedback!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

aarc240

Post by aarc240 »

Umm, hindsight really is better!!
I reconfigured my V3 board (again!) to pick up the PIP source signal from the X2 p2 / U2 p8 track, works just as well and is much easier to patch the existing board.
The track is adjacent to D7 and immediately above U1 and IC1. A small diameter sleeve is needed on each end of R5 and I also used a couple of dobs of hot-melt glue across the gaps between IC1, U1 and the body of R5 to protect against vibration.

david jenkins

Post by david jenkins »

Another useful addition on the V4 board would be a USB port to replace the serial input. It could also mean the end of all those "my USB-serial adaptor doesn't work" threads!

I know that someone has adapted the megasquirt board, using a small USB add-on board.

cheers,
David

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

But my love for usb-serial has no end.. and what would I ever do with my huge pile of different adapters? :D

Great suggestion, and one that's been on the forefront of my mind....
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

david jenkins

Post by david jenkins »

If it helps, the one I saw used devices from FTDI

Gilesy998

Post by Gilesy998 »

I remember there being talk of and EDIS-free version of mjlj possible in the future - and that I really fancy the idea of. I guess it'd mean pulling open EDIS4/6/8 modules, copying their schematics and adapting it's functions to fit on a single board.
Maybe even moving away from the EDIS altogether, I presume the result of such a project would be MJLJ V4.x/4, /6 and /8 - maybe even allowing for odd numbers of cylinders such as Audi's 5-pot, using a coil-per-plug arrangment. This would probably mean differing board latouts per cylinder quantity?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

As had been indicated before: Yes, there is a completely stand alone, non-edis version on it's way. I will be soon be announcing the firm details, including capabilities and rough pricing information. And yes, it will be a DIY-themed project in the spirit of Autosport Labs. :)

Thanks,
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

fikus01

Post by fikus01 »

if you're going non edis then maybe a different or selectable type of trigger could be employed. maybe utilising static timing from a distributor!

i know there can be an amount of slack in an ignition system with a dizzy because of slack in the timing chain or work gears etc etc, especiall on a-series engines but just being able to have a customised ignition curve thats to within a couple of degrees of accuracy would be lots easier to plug and play that having to make a timing wheel and vr sensor fit in somewhere!

does that make sense!!
DO SOMETHING SILLY, TURBO AN 1100CC METRO :)

aarc240

Post by aarc240 »

David (and anyone else interested)
If USB is giving enough problems have a look at this one
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product. ... ctid=16497
More out of interest than any real need I patched one of them onto a MJLJ in parallel with the RS232 interface and had USB working in minutes.

david jenkins

Post by david jenkins »

That's a useful looking device. It would be interesting to see if that could be piggy-backed onto the existing boards (not that I have a problem with the data - my antique laptop has a 9-pin RS232 port).

However, if Brent's going to the trouble of redesigning the board, then he might as well skip the RS232 bit and go straight from data to USB.

cheers,
David
aarc240 wrote:David (and anyone else interested)
If USB is giving enough problems have a look at this one
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product. ... ctid=16497
More out of interest than any real need I patched one of them onto a MJLJ in parallel with the RS232 interface and had USB working in minutes.

aarc240

Post by aarc240 »

Dunno about skipping the RS232C altogether - I'd prefer to see the option of either/or installation.
USB doesn't like electrically noisy environments, particularly anything that puts out much RF energy.
Sometimes the older slow ways are actually better!
Maybe I'll have to search out a daughter board for RS232C that can be installed in much the same space as the USB one. That way either one or the other can be installed as the user prefers.
Given that hardware flow control is pretty much redundant these days, the RS232C board could break all the rules and use a connector physically similar to USB type B thus allowing one end plate to service both.

Oliver Sedlacek

Post by Oliver Sedlacek »

Brent,
I'm working on a non-EDIS box, which I'm prepared to put in the public domain. Going non-EDIS certainly gives flexibility on trigger wheels, as it's all done in software. With four coil drivers, it could do 4, 6 and 8 cylinder engines in wasted spark configuration or 4 cylinder coil-on-plug. It's a bit more than Megajolt V4 though.