edis Module and heatsink

EDIS and Megajolt installation related topics. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide">Vehicle installation guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

boostedmini

edis Module and heatsink

Post by boostedmini »

Hi Guys,

not sure if it true, but i recall reading somewhere that i need to use a heatsink on the edis module.

is this true? do i need to use one?

thanks all.

Grant

T3tone

Heat sink

Post by T3tone »

Im not sure weather its needed or not but i mounted mine on a piece of alloy thats slightly larger than the module and spaced the alloy plate away from the inner wing where its mounted so pretty simple anyway.

brentp
Site Admin

I haven't seen information

Post by brentp »

I haven't seen information on this subject. Anedoctal evidence shows that you need minimal to no heat sinking- On my test bench I had one mounted to a piece of wood running for hours on end, it only became slightly warm.

I would imagine if the bracket it came with is mounted in such a way that it made as much metal-metal contact with the chassis as Ford did with the OEM installation it should be fine- this way any heat generated is transferred into the body of the car.

Regards,
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

boostedmini

Post by boostedmini »

Thanks guys,

I am prob going to put it on the inner guard of my mini so it should be ok i hope but a small bit of alloy would be ok too.

p.s like the new site guys

Grant

dan

Post by dan »

i also heard that heat could be a problem with the edis module so i put a pc heatsink on the back of mine:
and then attached it to the inner wing of my mini spacing it away from the wing so that air can circulate:
maybe a bit overkill, but better safe than sorry ;)
Dan :)

Gilesy998

Post by Gilesy998 »

As above, it might be a little overkill, but I liberated a heatsink from work and clamped it between the EDIS and bulkhead - I even stuck some thermal transfer compound between them, just in case :lol:

boostedmini

Post by boostedmini »

Good Job, I like it, I will see how mine goes and let you know.

grant

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

That is very pretty (and functional). What did you use to secure it to the EDIS housing?

dan

Post by dan »

i used ordinary superglue; however i have been wondering how well the heat will transfer through it in to the heatsink, so i may remove it and re-attach it with something with good heat transfer abilities.

DannyP

Post by DannyP »

Maybe JB weld?

KLAS

Post by KLAS »

just look at computers. there is a heat sinking glue to put heat sinks where no clip exists to holt it, from Arctic Silver i think

DannyP

Post by DannyP »