Pinto blow-thru with EDIS-4

Discussion on Future Megajolt hardware / software upgrades.

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

sierra2dr

Pinto blow-thru with EDIS-4

Post by sierra2dr »

Hi gang,
Just saying hello as it's rude not to. What a battle it's been to get my account running. It took 3 email addresses to get it active. Oh well,never mind,it was worth the battle to get on the forum,as the wealth of information on here is more than fantastic. But thanks to Brent who advised me to use a different email address. I have been looking through the archive postings and so far it has been educational. I am totally computer and electronics illiterate,so it's not going to be easy for me *GRIN*
As you see from the title,my attempt is to install a blow-thru turbo'd 2.0 Pinto using the EDIS-4 with mjlt. Do the Megajolts come already built ? Is there an advantage to self assemble?
My other issue is to decide whether to use MAP or TPS. I have seen in the archives,that there's no files for map setup,mainly for TPS,am I wrong?
When buying a laptop,what characteristics should it have,i.e port entries etc.
The Sierra at the moment is a 1.8 Pinto using the Hall effect dizzy controlled by the ESC hybrid ignition module. I was thinking at one time that I need to run MGLT and EDIS with the ESC. I have established that the ESC is not required,but,there are 2 items that are connected to the ESC,being the Engine Management Relay(speed sensor)and fuel shut off valve.
Advice would be great
thanks
Paul

Gilesy998

In my opinion, you really

Post by Gilesy998 »

In my opinion, you really want to be running MAP for a turbo setup (so you
can dial-in some boost retard where needed), and the added bouns of this is there's no fiddly fitting of a throttle pot, just a vac/boost signal hose.
The units do indeed come ready built, just look in the ordering section.
For the laptop, try ebay for a cheapy - all you really need is a machine that has a 9-pin serial port.
Gilesy998
1980 Leyland Mini 1000. Stage one tuned.
10" wheels. 4-pot brakes. MJLJ V3 ignition controller.

sierra2dr

thanks Gilesy,that's very

Post by sierra2dr »

thanks Gilesy,that's very helpful indeed. I've been looking on ebay for a laptop.

Oliver Sedlacek

MAP for turbos

Post by Oliver Sedlacek »

Although I usually recommend a TPS for a normally aspirated engine, for a turbo you really need a MAP sensor. This is because the MAP tracks the boost pressure, irrespective of turbo lag.