SiliconChip.com.au

General discussion on Autosport Labs, the mission, website, content, etc.

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Salamander

SiliconChip.com.au

Post by Salamander »

Hi, reading in the net i found this:

Programmable Ignition System For Cars

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

knock Sensor

Sorry, i don't speak english....i don't understand english, this ignition is good or not? i think is very difficult to do it.

Brent,found ideas for make a best MJLJ V4 ;)

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

Yes, I have seen that article. It's designed for distributor-based ignition. Interesting none-the-less.

Thank you-
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

dr.occa

Post by dr.occa »

i remember seeing this article several months back as well.

aarc240

Post by aarc240 »

This one I can comment on - I built and used one of these.
A reasonable design with some good ideas unfortunately crippled for high performance use by the decision to retain the distributor.
After some abortive attempts to eliminate timing inaccuracies causing gasket failures (supercharged engine) the timing source was changed to crankshaft triggered with absolute minimum of sensor points (3!!).
This helped a bit but never overcame the basic deficiency of the design in that there was no real load sensing (no MAP) and no TPS.
It wound up in the trash can.

alexander

Post by alexander »

just for the record...
i have one of these kits (unassembled) as i am considering installing it my 'other' car - a jeep wagon running dual fuel.

the kit in question does use a MAP sensor. the kit says it is optional, which it certainly is. i dont think load based advance does as much as one might think. for performance use, you are usually at such high load, that it load-based advance is inconsequential. for normal driving, likely it affects cruising fuel economy mostly. the car to which i fitted a MJ had no vac advance attached at all, as the weber carburettors it uses simply dont have a ported vacuum outlet at all, and that is for the reason stated above.

that aside, the kit does have a MAP sensor location on the board, and recommends it be used. also provided details of where to get the sensor in question, and alternatives.

re the issue of timing accuracy, it also runs through the process of modifying the distributor to lock the baseplate in place (ie no dynamic advance) which would only leave lash in the distributor drive gear, or the mechanical nature of the points on a kettering dizzy, as the only possible sources of timing inaccuracy.

without having built it, it seemed to me that the kit is a good one, especially if (like my jeep), you already have an optical, VR, magnetic or hall-effect type distributor, bearing in mind that it still retains the distributor for the HT distribution. so it is not MJLJ, but has it merits as an easier installation, not having the requirement to fabricate a 36-1 trigger, and find an EDIS. they are very uncommon on aussie fords, and even then only used on a couple of late model 6s.

none of the above is meant to refute the previous posters personal experience of course, just to clarify the issue about the MAP sensor in this kit.

regards
alexander

aarc240

Post by aarc240 »

Your right, the second generation Silicon Chip design does have MAP capability. I had the original design.

Regardless of the MAP sensor now included, I wouldn't even consider it for a dual fuel vehicle. The dual table capability of the MJLJ with 'on-the-fly' switching which can be driven from the fuel switch beats the hell out of it. Can't beat a real hot spark for LPG either.

eBay will provide all you need in the way of EDIS stuff and at good prices too. You don't need the headache of that stupid Ford coil pack design either - Chrysler coil packs work just fine and use HT leads readily available in Oz.

Ford Australia actually did use EDIS, it was just built into the EEC IV ecu and they cheapskated on the coil pack by using a gutted out dissie.
Not surprising as they've only just decided in 2008 to scrap a pig six cylinder that originally first saw production in the early 60's ( a bit like grandpa's axe - everything had been replaced, bandaided or just plain cobbled up ).

alexander

Post by alexander »

hi...
interesting you say about the hot-switching between maps. i didnt pick up, when reading the instructions for the silicon chip unit, exactly how you switch between maps. i have assumed it was on the fly, but perhaps not. better have another read...

that issue aside, however, it is appealing that it can be connected to the existing hall effect distributor. obviously not as sophisticated as the MJLJ, but it saves having to fit a trigger wheel, and find somewhere to fit the two coil packs (for the V8 motor).

regards
alexander
sydney.