Vacuum figure when idling

General Topics for configuring, operating and tuning the Megajolt. Also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Operation_Guide">Operation Guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Edwardatherton

Vacuum figure when idling

Post by Edwardatherton »

Now that I have a long serial lead I can plug the Land Rover into the computer outside the office window... !

When idling the vacuum is in the high-30's range. Is this normal? Min/max when standing still is 14-110.

Does this runtime graph look right for an idling engine? The MAP is 'jittery' as well as the revs. How stable should I be aiming to achieve?

Thanks!
Attachments
runtime.jpg
runtime.jpg (217.05 KiB) Viewed 7832 times
Land Rover 1957 S1 88" 2.5 petrol/LPG

Gilesy998

Post by Gilesy998 »

I've had this concern, as I could only describe the vac measurement as "rattling" up and down erratically. I asked the question on my club forum, with some interesting answers - http://www.minifinity.com/index.php?nam ... ic&t=49660

I've now added two connection possibilities to a spare manifold I had, but have yet to fit it to the car -

rbalmford

Post by rbalmford »

I can't answer your question directly as I run TPS. One observation however: I have no experieence of Land Rover engines, but your idle advance seems very 'low', especially as with a MAP sensor, it allows you to increase the advance at low load (high vacuum/low pressure) relative to that at high load (low vacuum/atmospheric pressure). What is you low rpm/high load advance in your ignition map? Maybe post a screenshot of the numeric ignition map showing the cell being used at idle.
Rich.

fikus01

Post by fikus01 »

if you have taken your vacuum supply from the same place that rover put the take off for a vac advance dizzy, chances are you arent getting vacuum! with the su carbs (im assuming you have) the vac takeoff is often partially shrouded by the butterfly and it gets airflow past it which means u wont get a true vacuum reading! if u havent already, try getting the vac takeoff from the manifold its self and as centrally as possible!
DO SOMETHING SILLY, TURBO AN 1100CC METRO :)

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

I have to say, your RPM looks pretty solid. However, I'm used to a turbocharged 1.6L with 550cc running very rich at idle- it's a little bouncy.

Your pulsing map is causing your advance to change, which is probably causing your RPMs to hunt up and down a bit. Smoothing out that vacuum source will help.

Do you have a brake booster line you could tap into? Often those see equal vacuum across all cylinders. My friend's TR6 was configured this way and it provided good results.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Edwardatherton

Post by Edwardatherton »

The vacuum advance take-off is coming from the brake servo line on the manifold (which I don't use for anything else).
The carb is a twin-choke Weber.

I will try and find a plastic fuel filter thing today and see if that smooths the vacuum.

As for advance figures, I was playing about with the map on Friday at work (boss was away for the day!), so I need to find my initial workings which I left at home and see what I had in the previous map before I changed things...! The idel was better on that map.

Thanks for the replies so far, I'll update on progress soon...

Edwardatherton

Post by Edwardatherton »

When I got to work this morning I hooked up to the computer while it was still hot (the engine, not the computer). This is the runtime when hot - much more stable! One of the tappets is ticking, so I'll check them this weekend.
Attachments
5-9-07 9am.jpg
5-9-07 9am.jpg (93.17 KiB) Viewed 7716 times

Edwardatherton

Post by Edwardatherton »

and here is the map I'm using...
Attachments
Map 5-9-07.jpg
Map 5-9-07.jpg (74.32 KiB) Viewed 7711 times