Turbocharged AW11 MR2

Show off your Megajolt installations, vehicles and action shots here!

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

brentp
Site Admin

Turbocharged AW11 MR2

Post by brentp »

My Autocross competition vehicle and R&D platform

1985 Toyota MR2
Megasquirt and MJLJ for engine managment
Turbocharged 4AGZE engine
Mitsubishi 14B turbo
Ford Probe Turbo intercooler
+endless more modifications
Attachments
mr2_hoosier_profile.jpg
mr2_hoosier_profile.jpg (91.3 KiB) Viewed 24363 times
mr2_hoosier_rear.jpg
mr2_hoosier_rear.jpg (41.81 KiB) Viewed 24363 times
14b_turbo_mainifold_compressor_test_fit_3quarter.jpg
14b_turbo_mainifold_compressor_test_fit_3quarter.jpg (92.45 KiB) Viewed 24364 times
heat_wrapped_intake_installed.jpg
heat_wrapped_intake_installed.jpg (117.39 KiB) Viewed 24365 times
14b_turbine_view_coolant_ine.jpg
14b_turbine_view_coolant_ine.jpg (116.82 KiB) Viewed 24365 times
intake_plumbing_initial_design_complete_end_view.jpg
intake_plumbing_initial_design_complete_end_view.jpg (96.92 KiB) Viewed 24365 times
march05_dyno.jpg
march05_dyno.jpg (100.44 KiB) Viewed 24367 times
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

dan

Post by dan »

that looks fantastic! really subtle, i bet it shifts well with all that power in such a small package! :twisted:

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

It is a little monster. Still scares me at times. :)

I need to do some work on it to get it healthy again. I have some mechanical ticking sound, I think from the valvetrain. I say 'ticking' instead of 'knocking' hoping to convince myself the problem is in the top of the engine and not the bottom.. :roll:
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

molecular bob

Interfacing megajolt and squirt

Post by molecular bob »

Hello Brent

Neat looking MR2. I noticed that you have a megajolt and a megasquirt on this car. I assume that the 'jolt is doing sparks and the 'squirt is doing fuel. How are you driving the 'squirt? I ask as this is the long term plan for my Caterham crossflow, and i had assumed that i would have to loose the jolt to free up the sensors on the crank and tps (though as your car is turbo i guess you are running MAP), and run spark and fuel from the megasquirt.

Thanks in advance

Ian Brock
In the lab or in the car

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Ian,

Yep, the MJLJ is providing the tach input to the Megasquirt using the TACH_OUT signal. Works very well.

Here's a picture of the equipment rack showing both units. the reservoir at the end is for an intercooler sprayer, controlled by one of the MJLJ outputs (set by boost level). The MJLJ at the time the picture was taken is my first V2 prototype unit.
Attachments
v2_engine_management_rack.jpg
v2_engine_management_rack.jpg (97.13 KiB) Viewed 24318 times

minty9277

Post by minty9277 »

Brent

I am currently running Megajolt 3.0 TPS on my Tiger Supercat 1800 Zetec, optioned with Shift lights. I plan on adding the map switching soon.

I also am planning on changing to Fuel Injection using megasquirt however I can not work out if I can run both in parallel. I see that you are. However is it only possible if using Megajolt using MAP?

Thanks in advanced, great work

Ian
There are 10 type of people in the world, one that understand binary and ones that do not.

Running 3.0 Megajolt on 1800 Zetec Tiger Supercat

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Ian,

In my setup the Megasquirt is driven by the TACH_OUT on the MJLJ controller- so it doesn't matter if the MJLJ unit is TPS or MAP based.

Regards,

minty9277

Post by minty9277 »

What would you do with the TPS wiring, would you run the TPS in of the Megajolt to the TPS in on the Megasquirt.

Thanks

Ian
There are 10 type of people in the world, one that understand binary and ones that do not.

Running 3.0 Megajolt on 1800 Zetec Tiger Supercat

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Using TPS to drive both would be possible in theory, it just depends on what you use as a "VREF" signal. Both the Megasquirt and Megajolt use a 5v Vref, so you could use either the VRef from the MJLJ or the VRef from the Megasquirt. Just make sure both units are grounded at the same location.

The TPS 'in' could be driven to both TPS inputs simultaneously.

In my case, I'm running the megasquirt in Speed-Density mode, and the TPS is used strictly for acceleration enrichment (equivalent to the accel pump in a carburetor). So note that I haven't tested this scenario.

Regards,
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter