Lathyrus 7 running under Megajolt

Show off your Megajolt installations, vehicles and action shots here!

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

david jenkins

Lathyrus 7 running under Megajolt

Post by david jenkins »

Here's my car, now running under Megajolt (maps still under development). It's built to Ron Champion's 'Locost' design.

It has a 1660cc Ford Kent (crossflow) engine, a weber 32/36 DGV downdraught carb, and a fast road cam.

Keeps me occupied! :P

[/img]
Attachments
dscf0006.jpg
dscf0006.jpg (39.53 KiB) Viewed 8170 times

Conrad

What stage of development is your map

Post by Conrad »

If it is running ok please share it
what is your max advance
what is your "max vaxuum advance" top line - botom line

Thanks Conrad

david jenkins

Post by david jenkins »

Conrad,

I wouldn't like to publish my map at the moment - it's only a 2D one, and is still under development. It is a safe starting point however, and is certainly no worse than fitting a racing mechanical distributor without vacuum advance. The MAP range is 20 to 100; advance at 800rpm is 12 degrees, to 36 degrees at max revs (6200rpm).

At the moment I'm trying to make a device for listening for any pre-ignition - as you can see from the picture, when on the move I can't hear the engine itself because of wind noise and exhaust roar! I'll be using a knock sensor, amplifier and noise-reducing headphones so that I can hear the 'pinking' where my development map is too far advanced. This work is still in the very early stages.

regards,
David

Conrad

Knock Amplifier

Post by Conrad »

glue an small piezo microfone (mayby pc boom type microfone ?) to an big batery clamp those u use for jumper cables bring wires from mic into car with an small amplifier (try laptop mic in port ?) conected to a good set of earphones must be able to cover ears

i did not try this but i hear it work
for the fun of it if u use laptop u can record it via recording software !

Goodluck
Conrad

david jenkins

Post by david jenkins »

I got a few ideas from this link. There's even a link to a recording of pre-ignition!

I already have some ear defenders with an amplified input, so I'll connect those to a knock detector that will be bolted to the engine block (these knock detectors are only an electret microphone in a very tough package). I've got all the bits, so I just need to put them all together.

cheers,
David