Do I have a bad processor?

Megajolt Kit assembly Question and Answers. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_kit_assembly_guide">Kit assembly guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Lotus7

Do I have a bad processor?

Post by Lotus7 »

I've just completed assembly and I'm trying to talk to the board.

I've verified +12v, +5v & Grnd points.
I've verified that the clock is running - 5v p-p at 16MHz.
I can see activity on the rs232 in line, through the IC to the processor.
I have connected the unit to an EDIS. The car (1968 Lotus Europa w/2002 Ford Zetec motor) starts but the advance remains at 10 degrees.
I see the PIP signal into the Megajolt but no SAW signal out.

Looks to me like I have a dead processor or the processor slipped past Brent without getting programmed.

Any suggestions on how to verify that the processor is programmed or that it is or is not working?

I don't have any way to flast the firmware. Is there anyone on the list near Salt Lake City who could look at the processor programming?

Lee

Lotus7

Trouble found!

Post by Lotus7 »

Well, I finally found the bad solder joint. The unit is on the car, running and all looks good. Now it works great!!!!

brentp
Site Admin

Ahh!! the evil bad solder

Post by brentp »

Ahh!! the evil bad solder joint. I should really emphasize that in the troubleshooting steps.

Often, the solder joint will look good but not make contact with the component lead- especially if the lead has some oxidization on it which resists the solder bond.

Glad it's working. As always, verify your timing is being adjusted by the MJLJ using a timing light.

Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter