Caterham 7. 1700 Xflow. Twin 40DCOE Webers. MJLJ Ignition

Show off your Megajolt installations, vehicles and action shots here!

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

NickW

Caterham 7. 1700 Xflow. Twin 40DCOE Webers. MJLJ Ignition

Post by NickW »

Gents,

Just finished my installation (just needs a bit of tidying) and it works great!!

Have a fairly safe map loaded at the moment, need to get booked into a friendly rolling road to get it sorted properly I think.

There are a number of people with Xflow engined Caterham 7's planning this upgrade, but I'm the first 'guinee pig' to install!!

I'm using a TPS in place of the MAP and this works very well. We have modified the board to put out +5v on the spare pin of the X2 connector and sacrificed the 4th programmable output to recive the signal from the TPS. This is then wired direct to the connection where the output leg of the MAP sensor would have been.

Using the Runtime Display the 'MAP' display ranges from 25 to 185, so I have just used this range in the Ignition map.

The website below is very crap, appologies, but does have some pictures of my install:

http://www.q253fdf.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/2.html

Thanks to Brent and Josh_b,

Nick.

repton

looks good

Post by repton »

Looks good. I'm wondering about the HT leads too. I currently have Magnecor KV85 leads on my Land Rover that is getting MJLJ+EDIS soon. Magnecor do list these for the various Fords that use the EDIS type coil packs, but for this application I guess I need to persuade them to make me a custom set as the lengths in my application won't be the same as any of the standard ones. For the time being I've just got several sets of Ford ones from the breakers to ensure I have a good supply of the longer ones to get the thing running.

Paul

repton

magnecor leads

Post by repton »

I emailed magnecor and they sent me this:

<a href="http://www.idlers.org/MagnecorCustom.jp ... tom.jpg</a>

So that answers my own question really.

Paul

NickW

Yup, got the same prob!!

Post by NickW »

Repton,

Yup, I now have a set of nearly new Magnecor leads that I can't use anymore.

I also have the same form from Magnecor, they'll make pretty much any type of lead you like, which can't be bad!!

However, I'm not convinced how much of a difference they make???

Nick.

Josh_b

looks great

Post by Josh_b »

if you want to sell your leads mail me :-)

gramercyjam

Curious as to why you are usi

Post by gramercyjam »

Curious as to why you are using a TPS instead of MAP since it seems like a TPS would be tricky to install and keep adjusted. I have triple Weber 45DCOE's on my Datsun 240Z dedicated autox car and I am considering converting to this EDIS system.

--John B
San Antonio, Texas!

NickW

TPS instead of MAP

Post by NickW »

John,

Trying to get a reliable MAP reading from side draught Webers is apparently very difficult. This is why I used a TPS. I used a Weber TPS kit that installed very easily and seams very secure.

I just set the TPS so that there was no restruction in the rotation of the carb's spindles and then used the Runtime Display in the MegaJolt software to see what values I was getting. In my case 25 - 180. I then set the values in the 'MAP' scale of the ignition map from 20 to 200. Job done!!

Regards,

Nick.

gramercyjam

Thanks for the information.

Post by gramercyjam »

Thanks for the information. Very helpful.

NickW

UK Source for MegaJolt Modules

Post by NickW »

Gents,

Forgot to mention in my original post about where I got my Megajolt from.

There is a very good and reliable UK source for either Megajolt components or completed boards or units, so you don't have to have the hassle of getting stuff from the States.

If you intend to use TPS then they can mod the board for this aswell. (TPS works fine, I'm using it already)

You can contact Guy at: [email protected]

Guy will be able to give you more info on what he can offer and prices etc.

Regards,

Nick.

Oliver Sedlacek

Progress on my installation

Post by Oliver Sedlacek »

The engine ran on the EDIS for the first time at 17:10 today! :) It's only limp mode, but it's a start. It's a Caterham 7 with a 1700 XFlow with TPS. Slightly to my surprise, the system wont work with the VR signal wires swapped.