MJLJ installed and working!!

Show off your Megajolt installations, vehicles and action shots here!

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

brentp
Site Admin

Great! Can you provide pictur

Post by brentp »

Great! Can you provide pictures of your installation?

There is a simple circuit you can use to interface to your tach. I'll dig it up and put it on the website.

With the rev limiter, the only thing I could think of with the EDIS module is to use the 'rev limiter' RPM output and use it to cut power to the coil pack. (the center lead)

Note that I *have not* tried this myself. The output works correctly, but I haven't implemented the rev limiting yet.

To cut power to the coil pack you would either use a solid state relay that can switch DC or use a power transistor circuit. a regular relay would probably not work well.

If you decide to try it out, first test it at a lower RPM setting. :)

Brent
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Josh_b

MJLJ installed and working!!

Post by Josh_b »

well i installed my MJLJ in my 68 triumph spitfire yesterday and it works great!! i tied it with just the edis at first and had a look at the timing with my timing light. it was rock steady at 10 degrees :-) i plugged in my mjlj and increased the revs at watched the the timing change with my timing light! excellent stuff! i went out for a drive and it feels really good! great job Brent! i will keep you posted
:~)

ps
i cant get my tacho to work, it used to get its signal from the - of the coil can anyone help me out?
pps
how can i sort out a rev limiter as my old one wont work with an edis setup?

Josh_b

picture of engine bay

Post by Josh_b »

here is a shot of the engine bay of my '68 spitfire.
http://www.bowler.fslife.co.uk/MyMJLJ.jpg
i will take some shots of the crank sensor etc
Brent i could REALLY do with the diagram to interface my tacho. cheers ;-)
could really do with a smoother rev limiter than just killing power to the coil, that sounds too drastic! we need one similar to an msd smooth cut etc. hmm what is the inbuilt edis rev limit anyhow?

brentp
Site Admin

thanks- I checked out your we

Post by brentp »

thanks- I checked out your website, the triumph project looks very nice!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Josh_b

i sorted out my tacho now

Post by Josh_b »

i found the schematic on the yahoo site, just 2 1n4004 diodes and a zener, seems to work great!
Question: my old rev limiter/shift light took its signal from the coil negative, if i hook it up to this diode assembly will it run my shift light? also what would it do if the rev limiter tried to kick in by earthing out??? would the diodes stop all effects of the rev limiter?

glad you like my site, i plan to update it soon with loads of info about this project!

vw16vt

useless after seing other thr

Post by vw16vt »

useless after seing other thread.

baxteri

RPM on classic cars (Smiths) rev counters

Post by baxteri »

Just got my MJL working on my Ginetta G15 (1970) which uses a <b>Smiths</b> RPM gauge which I think is the same as the spitfire.

There are four wires to the back of the gauge, two of which were in <u>series</u> with the old ignition coil (it shouldnt matter if its the negative or positive side). You can check this by measureing the resistance across these terminals - its typically less than a few ohms).

The gauge has two internal coils on a transformer type arrangement, so that the current that fed the old ignition coil can feed the EDIS supply.
When the EDIS draws current it generates a magnetic field which indirectly drives the needle.

Josh_b

rev counter

Post by Josh_b »

yours is the induction type i think, i dont know how you would wire that, try to get a later type that just requires a pulse from the neg coil. you could get the innards and built it into your old guage?!?