Earthing arrangement for Triumph GT6

EDIS and Megajolt installation related topics. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide">Vehicle installation guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

gt6boy

Earthing arrangement for Triumph GT6

Post by gt6boy »

Hi
I am about to fit an EDIS 6 module(F4ZF-12K072-AB, off a 24v 2.5 litre UK Mondeo) with the MAP sensor MJLU, to my Triumph GT6. This is my first foray into the black art of mapable ignition so forgive me if i am repeating issues raised before.
I have a couple of queries, I am hoping you may be able to shed light on.
1. My EDIS module has a male terminal pin 7, but the existing plug has no-such reciprocal female terminal pin 7 wired up for the earth? Am I correct to assume that I must there-fore retro-fit the female pin into this and connect as per the various wiring schematics, such as on this site?
2. I will utilise a two core shielded cable for the VR unit. Whilst the EDIS end of the shielding will be attached to pin 7 (and in so doing, pin 9 as well), does there require to be any termination of the shielding at the VR end?
Thanks in anticipation.
Bruce.

DannyP

I think you are correct

Post by DannyP »

I will preface this with the fact that my Megajolt is not done yet. So I can't help with pinouts. But it is my understanding that an earth or groundshield should only be grounded on one end, in this case the EDIS end. At least that is what I plan to do on mine.
Vintage 550 Spyder replica VW type1 2165cc 9.8:1 Dual Weber 44 IDF RABY motor MJLJ V3/TPS

michael

Earth connection

Post by michael »

The sheild for the VR sensor and the cable to the MJLJ both ground at the EDIS, its been posted before that if you ground at at another point allsorts of weird and wonderful things occure.

One tip though, if when next at the scrappy and spot a fiesta about M reg get as much as possable from the loom. I didnt do this the first time, if you follow the loom from the EDIS forwards there is no need to cut the wire leading to the VR sensor as its long enough for most applications, i have done this on my '72 Spitfire

its great when it all works

gt6boy

Re- earth connection

Post by gt6boy »

Hi Micheal
Thanks for the info. So it sounds like I will have to fit a new connector pin 7 in the unused position in my EDIS plug coupler. Right, where to get one of them!
I can't wait to get it all up and running, are you local to me (Bristol), it would be good to see your set up and chat?
Regards
Bruce.

gt6boy

Re- earthing

Post by gt6boy »

Hi Danny
Thanks for the input. All good info and much appreciated.
Regards
Bruce.

ckenyon

GT6

Post by ckenyon »

I have got my 76 TR6 up and running with MJLJr. Currently just running tach (RPM) based advance. Haven't hooked up the manifold pressure sensor. Idle quality is much improved. email: [email protected]
Have pictures of mounts I made and installation.
Craig Kenyon

michael

Bruce i am in North

Post by michael »

Bruce i am in North Lincolnshire.
But if you mail me at [email protected] i will send pics of the install that i have managed to get done so far.

Michael

zeb crusaders

GT6 ignitioon table

Post by zeb crusaders »

Has anyone here an ignition table that would be a good start?
I am just about to start my engine with the MILJ system and needs a "begin with " map.

Haavard Guttormsen
Norway