Can-X Module Wiring

Race Capture Pro hardware installation- power, wiring, physical installation, etc. See the dedicated forum for Sensor related topics

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

shmed

Can-X Module Wiring

Post by shmed »

I have a Can-X module for a Mk1 RCP, and was looking at connecting it to my test rig CAN bus.

I looked on the website and can see that the pins on the actual RCP socket run from 1 to 8 (left to right), and can see that I need to connect pins 2 and 3 to my CAN Bus, however I'm not sure of the orientation of the socket coming out of the Can-X module as the socket is inverted from the RCP.

So, as I don't want to 'assume' anything, how do the output pins on the RCP socket equate to the output pins on the Can-X module?

Also, is the 12v connection on the Can-X module necessary? I'm not hooking up to an OBD2 port.

Cheers

Paul

toga94m

Re: Can-X Module Wiring

Post by toga94m »

shmed wrote:I have a Can-X module for a Mk1 RCP, and was looking at connecting it to my test rig CAN bus.

I looked on the website and can see that the pins on the actual RCP socket run from 1 to 8 (left to right), and can see that I need to connect pins 2 and 3 to my CAN Bus, however I'm not sure of the orientation of the socket coming out of the Can-X module as the socket is inverted from the RCP.

So, as I don't want to 'assume' anything, how do the output pins on the RCP socket equate to the output pins on the Can-X module?

Also, is the 12v connection on the Can-X module necessary? I'm not hooking up to an OBD2 port.
I've got the same setup (MK1 with CanX) and got it talking to my Megasquirt on a pre-OBD2 Miata. I don't have all my notes here, but the x-ray vision image of the CanX board should help show what pins you need to connect to. Looks like there are only 2 wires on X1 (the centered connector) so shouldn't need to put 12V anywhere. The CANx module gets power from the MK1.
https://github.com/autosportlabs/CANx

I can take a closer look at my setup this weekend too if this isn't enough help. I ended up taking a short RJ45 network wire (home made with solid conductors) and just using the two pins for CAN +/-, jumped that over to the right pins on my Megasquirt. Actually I have a M/F mated pair of 9-pins in series too, because I was borrowing a CAN debugging tool that used a 9-pin connection. This way I can unhook and use the debugger, then plug them together to the RCP MK1 once I've proven the Megasquirt is broadcasting what I want to see.
------------
Learning Race Capture Pro... on someone else's car
Learning Python/Kivy on my own PC