Mk1 GPS upgrade?

Race Capture Pro hardware installation- power, wiring, physical installation, etc. See the dedicated forum for Sensor related topics

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

GTIspirit

Mk1 GPS upgrade?

Post by GTIspirit »

is it possible to upgrade the 10Hz Mk1 GPS unit to the 50Hz Mk2 unit?

I feel comfortable with PCB de-soldering and soldering. Would be really nice to have better than 10Hz GPS sampling....

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

Unfortunately, it's not just switching hardware; the protocol between RCP and the module is completely different as well. So it's not a really feasible task. Sorry it's not just a simple switch!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

JMcDonough

Post by JMcDonough »

If it's any consolation, I'm running my mk2 50hz unit at 10hz to get better data quality. At 50hz, the GPS position was jumping all over the place at random times during runs.

10hz has been plenty good for me. Sure, the speed signal is delayed by ~0.2s behind what you see the accels doing, but for run to run comparison 10hz seems fine.
Josh

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

We've found that 50Hz requires ideal GPS conditions - and that means horizon to horizon visibility. A desert or very large field gives good results. 10Hz works extremely well, however, and your lag should be 0.1 sec, actually.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter