Reset RCP?

Race Capture Pro hardware installation- power, wiring, physical installation, etc. See the dedicated forum for Sensor related topics

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

momostallion

Reset RCP?

Post by momostallion »

Help please! Is there a way to reset the RCP (mk1) back to default?

RCP unit was installed in car and was working fine yesterday.

This morning RCP seems to be frozen. Only the power led goes green. No communication with the tablet via BT module, the Shift-X lights stay on solid.

Connecting a USB cable does not communicate with laptop. I removed RCP from car and disconnected all wires except USB, no change. Only power LED is green, there is no communication and no connection recognition by laptop or desktop. Holding button and connecting USB doesn't ready for firmware/flash, no other led lights light up.

The only strange behavior it was exhibiting prior to this was the inability to change LUA script. I could change and flash config but if I touched the existing lua script (even something simple like removing blank space), it would stop writing and go red light. Power cycling would fix it but the Lua script would be unchanged.

Only thing I have touched recently with install related items is the CANx adapter. I plugged that back in and was going to start testing communication with ECU again.

Please let me know if i can try something otherwise I'm afraid might have to send this back your way for testing.

momostallion

Post by momostallion »

I pulled the board from the case and nothing looks abnormal.

I looked for the reset switch reference in the installation guide but mine is not present.

I see the information about shorting the test provision to reflash the boot loader but I will wait to hear back from you first.

Really hoping I can get back up and running before next big track day. Circuit of the Americas May16 & 17th, this one cost a few pennies!

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Mo,

Sorry you're having problems! Let's get this figured out.

Normally if there's a wayward script that causes a lockup it should reboot and bypass the loading of the script, allowing you to recover. Does a red light show up?

The other way you can recover is to apply a recovery firmware which will cause the config to reset, and then re-flash with latest. I'll follow up with a link to this recovery firmware.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

momostallion

Post by momostallion »

the lua script i had in there worked, just wasn't able to edit or remove it.

no red light on the device, only solid green for the power.

no usb response either, not sure if that is going to cause an issue with trying to flash recovery firmware but i would like to try it.

momostallion

Post by momostallion »

i tried the Steps for Factory ROM bootloader here:
http://www.autosportlabs.net/RaceCaptur ... re_upgrade

no luck. getting no usb recognition. feeling like a hardware problem.

smig

Post by smig »

Was this ever resolved?

I experience the same issue after applying firmware 2.8.2. The RCP will no longer will recognize pressing and holding the button while plugging in the USB to the RCP. Only the power LED lights and the RCP does not show up as a USB device and will not connect via BT to the android app.

Wondering what the correct approach is to addressing the issue.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

smig, you're also on MK1 as well, right?

When you plug in to usb on windows while holding down the button, what do you see in Windows device manager?

Any USB devices show up, recognized or not recognized?
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

smig

Post by smig »

brentp wrote:smig, you're also on MK1 as well, right?
Yes MK1.
brentp wrote: When you plug in to usb on windows while holding down the button, what do you see in Windows device manager?
No change in Device Manager.
brentp wrote: Any USB devices show up, recognized or not recognized?
Nothing showing up as either a USB device or an Unknown device. I've tried a couple of different USB cables. RCP is not being recognized.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Did this happen *immediately* after applying 2.8.2, or did you use it a bit and then something happened? any details around when it happened? Did you drive around, etc?

Also, LED behavior is the same whether powered via 12v or usb?

smig

Post by smig »

brentp wrote:Did this happen *immediately* after applying 2.8.2, or did you use it a bit and then something happened? any details around when it happened? Did you drive around, etc?

Also, LED behavior is the same whether powered via 12v or usb?
Yes this was immediate...I was not able to use it after attempting the 2.8.2 upload.

I started the upload of the RaceCapturePro_MK1_2.8.2 firmware (via flashRCP.bat), confirming that it was running and then stepped away. When I returned the green power LED was on and the commandline screen was closed. I unplugged the USB cable and plugged it back in and attempted to connect to the upgraded Android app via BT. I couldn't get it to recognize RCP. I then attempted via the windows version of the app. When I couldn't connect, I check the to see if RCP was showing up in Device Manager and that is when I discovered that it was not being detected.

I haven't attempted to connect to 12V. I'll give it a try and report back.

smig

Post by smig »

smig wrote:I haven't attempted to connect to 12V. I'll give it a try and report back.
No detectable difference when powered with 12V. I do see the light on the BT module go solid periodically, however the app still indicates "Could not detect RaceCapture/Pro" and will periodically show "Searching RaceCapturePro".

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

We've tested multiple MK1 upgrades and other MK1 users are reporting no problems with their upgrades. So something weird is going on; maybe a coincidental problem. Will send an email.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

mach1000

Post by mach1000 »

I have just experiences the same error this morning.

I was writing a lua script to the device through app on mac, after i rebootet the device it stopped searching for the usb in the top of screen and only on searching for bluetooth.

I then switched to my windows pc, and it wont recognise the device in device manager, unless I enter boot mode by pressing button. I then tried reloading firmware but after that finished still no usb connection.

The power LED on all the time, but not telemtery, gps etc.

Is there a way to reset it manually?

It is a bit urgent, using the device tommorow for a racemeeting.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

turns out the fix needed a factory config reset. The general solution is to:

1) flash an old firmware version (an older major a or minor version difference) e.g. 2.8.4 -> 2.7.9
2) flash latest firmware back again

That will trigger a config reset, and should recover the system.