CnP setup, can I?

EDIS and Megajolt installation related topics. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide">Vehicle installation guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

chip369

CnP setup, can I?

Post by chip369 »

OK, first post, I'm new to this, be gentle..
I have a 4cyl Toyota 22R that I'm hoping to run CnP LS2 coils.. It would be great if the mega jolt 2 was out but for now I'm seeing what I can do.
I have seen on youtube there is a guy running dual EDIS for CoP set up. Where 1 EDIS runs cyl 1 and 2 while the other runs cyl 3 and 4.
I was wondering if I did the same, could I run LS2 coils?
I am aware that LS2 coils require a 5v signal to trigger the ignitors and the EDIS puts out a 12V trigger signal.
Would it be possible to run a simple two resistor voltage divider say 1k4 and 1k to cut the voltage from 12 down to 5?
OR would it be possible to run the 12v signal directly to the supply pins of the coil?
If this is possible would this still be a waste fire set up?

chip369

Post by chip369 »

So I'm a bit confused, maybe someone can help me out.

If I'm reading this correctly, the EDIS coils fire at 12v? and the EDIS controller supplies 5ms dwell if a single coil is used per channel?

that seems like it would fire a LS2 if connected directly to the primary, and bypass the ignitor?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

The LS2 coils are low level triggered, so they won't work with the EDIS system. The next gen Megajolt series, due out this year, will be able to handle LS1 / LS2 style coil packs.

Watch for news on this soon!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

chip369

Post by chip369 »

The motor is going in within the month and the ignition will need to be setup within 3months maximum, I'm not sure if the mj2 will be available by then.. I might have to go mega squirt.

Do the coils HAVE to be fired by the ignitors?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi - Not sure what you mean. the LS2 coils have their own built-in ignitiers, triggered by a 5v signal. Can you elaborate?
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

chip369

Post by chip369 »

The LS2 coils have 4 pins;
PIN D is the 12V supply that is connected to the primary winding
PIN C is the signal input for the internal transistor
PIN B is the ECU return signal that can be run to ground
PIN A is the ground wire.

If the ignitors was held "open" by running a constant 5v
And a 12V impulse was sent to PIN D
Would the coil fire?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

It sounds like the question is, can they be driven by the EDIS module output?

Maybe.

You would have to translate the output to something 5v compatible and then test to see if the EDIS module can drive it without detecting a fault condition. The module may be looking for the flyback pulse, wich would not be present configured in this manner.

Only some testing would tell. Let us know what you find out!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter