Tigger sensor wiring: shielded?

EDIS and Megajolt installation related topics. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide">Vehicle installation guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Gregs672000

Tigger sensor wiring: shielded?

Post by Gregs672000 »

Just getting started, purchased some items from a friend who has used this system, about to buy the box etc. Quick question: in the wiring instructions they tell you to use shielded wiring for the tigger sensor, but what appears to be a stock Ford plug with wires is not shielded. If Ford didn't, why is shielding needed? Or am I missing something?

Lazeum

Post by Lazeum »

Ford used shielded wires. It is easy to pull the wire out of the shielded sleeve. This is what might happen with yours.

To get shielded wires cheap, go to a shop selling microphone cables. In France, I got mine for 2€ per meter.
Last edited by Lazeum on Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mathieu

Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

Thanks for the reply. So, the wires for the connector appear sealed in. Is it possible to splice in with shielded wire very close to the connector or does that defeat the purpose? I'm ignorant about electrical. Thanks!

Lazeum

Post by Lazeum »

Shield is there to avoid radiations coming from the rest of the car (spark ignition or radio for instance) to disturb VR signal signal so it a little bit is uncovered , it should be fine. Mine is having around 1 inch uncovered at sensor.
Mathieu

Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

Thanks you so much for your response, that helps a lot!