Trouble starting - any ideas?

EDIS and Megajolt installation related topics. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide">Vehicle installation guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

stappinuk

Trouble starting - any ideas?

Post by stappinuk »

Hi all

I'm trying to get my newly built Vauxhall/Opel 1.6 16v (x16xel) on twin 40's using a megajolt to start. It's being a pig!

It Cranks pops and blows back through the carbs but doesn't fire!?

Today I've checked the carbs fuel seems fine floats all fine, spark seems fine new plugs and firing order is:

Cylinder num: 1 2 3 4
Firing order: 1 3 4 2
Coil pack turret to cylinder numbering: 1/1, 2/3, 3/2, 4/4

Plugged into the laptop I can see the TPS is working and I also checked that the VR sensor is 'sensing' by putting a multi meter across the terminals.

Anyone any ideas what else to check?

Cheers

Simon

fenderstrat536

Post by fenderstrat536 »

Check your plug wiring again, you have a normal firing order so just hook up the plug wires following the marking on the coil. 1&4 will be on one side of the coil and 2&3 will be on the other half. but it sounds like your getting spark.
Maybe double check your trigger wheel orientation.

stappinuk

Post by stappinuk »

I'll give swapping the plug leads about tomorrow (battery is flat now).

In regards to the coil firing order does it fire 1,2,3,4 as per the numbering next to the coil towers?

Some seem to think that 1&4/2&3 the coil sides fire together (connector facing down 1&4 to the left of coil 2&4 to right) and other say it's as per the 1, 2, 3, 4?

Cheers

Simon

fenderstrat536

Post by fenderstrat536 »

EDIS is wasted spark, two plugs will be firing at once. One of those cylinders is on the compression stroke and the other will be on the exhaust, where there is nothing to burn so it is wasted.
correct, when looking at the coil where the plug is on the bottom, the left half will fire then the right half, assuming your wired it correctly. Left should be wired to coil 1 on the edis module, right as coil 2

stappinuk

Post by stappinuk »

Ok I'm trying to get my head round why it's popping back through the carbs I'm wondering if it's because the ignition is happening too early on the intake stroke and hence why it's blowing back through the carbs. Does that sound feasible? If so can I delay it?

37Pickup

Post by 37Pickup »

Start by unplugging the MJ, take the plugs out and put a timing light on it, you should see 10 deg or somewhere near that. If so that is good enough to start it.
If still popping, forget the thoery and just swap the leads around, there is only a few combinations. :?
If you think you can or can't...your right!

Swedge

Post by Swedge »

when i plugged my leads in on my vauxhall (20seh) i just plugged them 1-1 2-2 3-3 4-4 and it worked

i tried at first setting them up like the ford setup and it just back fired

stappinuk

Post by stappinuk »

Right I've sussed the error of my ways! Like a complete dullard I've mounted the VR/crank sensor at the point of the missing tooth but not tdc so the engine was trying to fire 90 deg before tdc.

But now I have a new problem where I need to mount the sensor at tdc the anti roll bar will clatter it once the car is dropped (arrrgghh!)

So I have two new questions:

1: are there any shorter sensors I could use as mines too long?

2: can the sensor be mounted side on to the trigger wheel to detect the gap?

37Pickup

Post by 37Pickup »

The sensor can be mounted anywhere, so long as the gap is the required distance from it at TDC.
If you think you can or can't...your right!