EDIS question

EDIS and Megajolt installation related topics. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide">Vehicle installation guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Harry W

EDIS question

Post by Harry W »

I just installed an EDIS system in my 63 E Type; it came off another running car and I've installed it per his instructions. I tried to start the car today and it clearly is getting spark but as clearly, NOT at the right time. It's backfiring hard enough to have damaged the starter pinion. I double/triple checked the plug wire order and even rewired it 180 off, and it does precisely the same thing. No backfiring through carbs; tries to start but acts as if massively advanced.

Checked sensor position on trigger wheel, and it's within a degree of perfect. I was told to wire the plugs as follows: From top-left of Ford coil pack, ina CW direction 1-2-3-4-5-6.

I give up!

Harry W
[email protected]

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Harry,

Sorry for the late reply.

It definitely sounds like you have a mismatch in the plug wiring, or perhaps a mis-aligned trigger wheel.

Without the Megajolt plugged in, the EDIS module should start and smoothly run your engine at 10 degrees with the correct wiring.

Your best bet is to map the distributor firing sequence to the order the EDIS module fires the wasted spark pairs. A jag expert or maintenance manual can help with this.

In any case, did you get any farther?
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Heuer

Post by Heuer »

There is an active Megajolt thread along with maps on the E-Type Forum, 'Upgrades' section. http://etypeuk.com/forum/index.php which may help.

Your plug wiring is correct for the XK engine but have you checked your spark plugs. I just spent three days chasing down a misfire and it turned out to be the NGK BP5ES plugs which are correct for the E-Type but not if you are using electronic ignition. You need resistor plugs - e.g. BPR5ES otherwise the RFI will screw with the EDIS.