MegaJolt JR, EDIS8, Rover V8 - Help / Advice needed

EDIS and Megajolt installation related topics. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide">Vehicle installation guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

britlude

Post by britlude »

once you've worked out the map/uploaded it to the mjlj, it has to be fixed (or 'flashed') into the mjlj memory. at the top of the screen there's 3 buttons, read, write, flash...

now, if the dyno hadn't done this after working out the map then it won't be fixed into the mjlj, hence all the blank spaces, hopefully they saved it on their computer and the file can be transfered into the mjlj.

on a side note, number 1 cylinder is the one closest to the front of the engine. (the banks are offset!) on a rover, it's next to the dizzy!

NOTE TO EVERYONE.... in the first pic, we are looking at the BACK of the engine (gearbox bell at the bottom of the pic)!!!! number one cylinder is E on the diagram
Last edited by britlude on Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1937 hotrod, rover quad carbed 3.6ltr V8, v3.3.2 mjlj TPS
1972 Jensen Interceptor 7.2ltr chrysler V8 power.. V4 mjlj

Metro6R4

Post by Metro6R4 »

Yet another update ...

Managed to 'confirm to flash, write to flash' or whatever the term was to send the std. Rover V8 map to my MJLJ, powered off the laptop & car, powered on the laptop and car and the new map is now there on my MJLJ.

Took her out on a test drive ... F*** it's quick ... massive massive difference and brutal performance !!!!!

So, in summary, i'm very happy this evening :)

britlude

Post by britlude »

I said it'll be worth it!

.... and that's with a basic map!!!!
1937 hotrod, rover quad carbed 3.6ltr V8, v3.3.2 mjlj TPS
1972 Jensen Interceptor 7.2ltr chrysler V8 power.. V4 mjlj

NITROPIXIE

Post by NITROPIXIE »

Brilliant, glad your enjoying it. Just don't break it, lol ;)
1310 A-series Mini, lightened and built myself. V4 board and loving it

Rasputin22 - The Mini Forum
Rasputin22 - MK1 Golf Forum

Megajolt repair for the UK available

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Metro6R4 wrote:Yet another update ...

Managed to 'confirm to flash, write to flash' or whatever the term was to send the std. Rover V8 map to my MJLJ, powered off the laptop & car, powered on the laptop and car and the new map is now there on my MJLJ.

Took her out on a test drive ... F*** it's quick ... massive massive difference and brutal performance !!!!!

So, in summary, i'm very happy this evening :)
Great! Yes, it needs to be committed to Flash or else it hangs around in the controller's RAM memory. Just like editing a document on your PC, need to save to disk for it to stick, so to speak.

We strongly encourage you to share your Map in our "ignition map library" so other community members can benefit from your work. We're about sharing here :)
http://www.autosportlabs.org/viewforum.php?f=15

And also please consider doing a short write up with a pic or two in our "powered by" gallery!
http://www.autosportlabs.org/viewforum.php?f=9

Thanks! We hope you enjoy your new-found performance! :)
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Quagmire

Post by Quagmire »

Metro,

If you are looking for more people with 4.6 RV8's you may want to try posting/searching on LR4x4.com (landrovers- but not all of us drive smoky old diesels), or www.v8forum.co.uk...

Either one will have threads with people asking ignition questions. There are a couple of big Megasquirt threads on LR4x4 and they have lots of info on peoples ignition tables etc. Just be careful, as you have to enter the values into MJ by hand as you cannot import Megasquirt files and the Megasquirt tables have the load axis upside down compared to MJ...

Heres a page to get you started in your quest:

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=15317&st=60
1984 3.5 LR 90
1959 2.25 LR Series 2

Metro6R4

Post by Metro6R4 »

Quagmire wrote: Heres a page to get you started in your quest:
http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=15317&st=60
Quagmire, many thanks for this link - I've spent a couple of hours reading through the threads and spotted a map for a 4.6 Bowler on this page : http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showt ... omsearch=1 - Do you / any other forum members think it would be OK for me to input these figures manually into the MJ s/ware and give it a try on my engine ? (mine is a stage III 4.6 V8, with Weber 500 carb - not sure if the Bowler is Carb of Fuel injection though)

A quick query - I disconnected my car battery for a couple of days to do some other work on it - started the car today and the std. Rover V8 map i flashed to the MJLJ a few days ago had vanished - ie. Connected via Laptop OK, read configuration ... nothing there. I re-flashed the std. Rover V8 map back OK, turned off car, laptop, unplugged everything and waited a few mins - re-started everything and map still there at moment on MJLJ. A bit baffled !

Quagmire

Post by Quagmire »

Checking that map for the Bowler, the guy says it is a "soft" map- but his max advance is 44degrees! I always thought that the bigger the displacement, the lower the max advance.... To put this into perspective, my 3.5 runs a maximum of (can't remember exactly now) 38 degrees on LPG! although i think i could go further. Max on petrol i run is 30-32.... again can't remember.

Checking some old posts on v8forum.co.uk it looks like a guy i know (who gave me my 3.5) is running max advance of 32 degrees- i think he gets his timing "all in" by 2500rpm. However, apparently 28 degrees is usually the max quoted figure.
1984 3.5 LR 90
1959 2.25 LR Series 2

Martyn123

Post by Martyn123 »

Hi Metro 6R4,

Saw your comments and wondered if you ever posted a map of your settings, mine is a 5.0 rover v8 with a edelbrock and have only just got it on the road and not really sure it its set with the default rover settings by the engine builder.

The engine is sitting in my Marcos and we are not to far away so any advise on the specs would be appreciated,

Regards,

Martyn
Sutton Coldfield.