not connecting to laptop

General Topics for configuring, operating and tuning the Megajolt. Also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Operation_Guide">Operation Guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

cng1

Post by cng1 »

Easiest way to think about it to write one under the other:

Ford - 1342
Yours - 1432

So:

1=1
3=4
4=3
2=2

Of course being wasted spark you could also do the inverse, which gives you another set of options

Ford inverse - 4213
Yours - 1432
Official Megajolt distributor for UK and Europe.
Complete Megajolt packages, EDIS kits, Trigger wheels and everything else you need for your megajolt install
www.trigger-wheels.com

Swedge

Post by Swedge »

so the way i have mine is wrong?

Swedge

Post by Swedge »

even without the rs232 plugged into the laptop i get the couldnt count syliner error, shouldnt it say could not open port with it disconnected?

Swedge

Post by Swedge »

well i set up the plugs like so

ansd it fired up :)

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Does it run smoothly? if so, connect a timing light to the engine and see if the timing changes based on RPM. You should see it change smoothly when the Megajolt is correctly wired in and operating.

Let us know what you find out!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Swedge

Post by Swedge »

yeah she runs fine, revs perfect as well

when i bought the ecu i didnt have any map loaded at all and when i had it on my main pc im sure i put the base map from the downloads section on to it but i never set any cranking advance i dont think

so how is it still starting? lol

i dont have a timing light atm, im gonna try another cable today and see if i can get it connected up

Swedge

Post by Swedge »

just to get this right, when i plug my ecu into the rs232 port on my xp laptop it should be automaticly port 1?

when i open device manager and click on (ports com lpt1) it comes up with communications port (com1) and ECP printer (lpt1)

the rs232 should be com1 yes?

when i plug the ecu in i dont get any pop ups saying tsomething has been plugged in, should i?

Swedge

Post by Swedge »

anyone?

i think it could the be the serial adaptor, only thing is i cant get them pre-wired over here so would need to wait on one from the us again

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Does this particular laptop have a built-in serial port or are you using a USB-serial adapter?

When you plug in a USB adapter for the first time windows will prompt to install drivers. Any time after that, you just get the "beep" notice that a USB device was plugged in, providing the drivers were installed correctly. Then, you will see the device under Device Manager.

if it's a serial connection then windows won't notify you as a standard serial interface is not designed to automatically detect devices plugging in, like USB does.

Unless someone actively set the ignition map to all 'zeros' the Megajolt will have a default ignition map on board. Default cranking advance is 12 degrees.

Have you been able to verify the timing changes with a timing light?

Also, what "serial adaptor" are you referring to in your most recent message?
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Swedge

Post by Swedge »

yeah the laptop has a built in serial plug, the serial adaptor was purchased from you and shipped over a few months ago

at the time i didnt have the laptop ort anything with a built in serial port so i bought a usb converter

it worked first time with the converter on my main pc, i loaded up the base map and thats about it

it was tucked away for a few weeks untill i had everything fitted to the car, once everything was fitted i managed to get an older laptop and got windows xp installed on it and plugged the ecu straight into the serial plug using the converter bought from you

i got nothing, just the timeout reading cylinder error all the time. i tried installing the drivers for the usb converter (the disc came with drivers for various versions of windows) but still get the timeout error

so i thought id plug it back into my main pc using a battery to power the ecu but i still get the timeout error, i dont know why as it did work when i first bought it

my main pc dosnt have a serial port in it thats why i bought the usb converter

ive tried a different cable from the ecu to the adaptor but i still get the same message, im beginning to think its the serial adaptor (not the the usb converter) thats gone faulty

i cant find anywhere in the uk that will pre-wire it for me so ill have to wait for one from yourselves again :(

and then again it might not even be that lol

Swedge

Post by Swedge »

i also meant to say, after installing the usb drivers i then plug the converter in and it does beep and say new hardware found blah blah and all ready to use

ive untinstalled and re-installed the drivers a few times as well

Swedge

Post by Swedge »

before i buy a new rj11-db9 adaptor i opened mine up which was purchased from your shop

just checking nothing has came unplugged

does this look right

also when i plug my usb converter in (which has worked before) i get the timeout reading cylinder error even before i plug the megajolt in

does anyoene elses do this?without the magjolt plugged in?

even without using the usb converter im still getting the time out error