Still can't flash data with engine running

General Topics for configuring, operating and tuning the Megajolt. Also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Operation_Guide">Operation Guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

spandit

Still can't flash data with engine running

Post by spandit »

As I've alluded to in previous posts, I had the same problem as another user regarding flashing the MJLJ with the engine running. On both channels with the engine off, it works fine, but with engine going, I can only change the runtime data on channel 2 (i.e. option switch to earth). I've just changed the plugs to resistive ones and my leads have resistance built in too. I've tried powering the entire ignition system purely off a leisure battery to negate effects of a noisy power supply (normally runs off a voltage dropper as truck is 24V) but no difference.

I've also now put a fuel filter into the vacuum line (in addition to the mig tip) but no change in the erratic readings

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

So we're precise, when you say 'flash data' what do you mean exactly? What steps are failing?

To recap the edit / write / flash process:

1) the Ignition map is changed in the software (i.e. you edit a cell value)
2) then pushed to the controller (Write Ignition Configuration) where it stores it in RAM. And, you can observe the change you made has taken place.
3) then committed to flash (Commit configuration to flash) where it permanently stores it in controller Flash memory

When the option switch is not grounded, which step above fails?

Also, when the option switch is not grounded, does the runtime data update smoothly (RPM readings, etc) or do you see pauses in data, jitters, etc?
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

spandit

Post by spandit »

I've actually videoed the problem but haven't uploaded it yet.

Let's say that my current ignition map is commanding an advance of 20 degrees

1) If I select the current bin (or group of bins) and change the value to, say, 25, it will show this in the 10x10 table
2) Pressing "write configuration" leaves the table unchanged (i.e. with the new values) and the status bar says it's done it. However, the advance gauge remains unchanged at 20
3) Clicking "commit to flash" again gives me a status message saying it has been done, but the gauge remains unchanged.

Clicking the download data button reverts back to the old table

Runtime data seems pretty smooth in both switched configurations (apart from my MAP problems but squeezing the hose shut gives a steady reading).

spandit

Post by spandit »

Here's the video illustrating my problem. Sorry about the quality but hopefully it's clear enough with the annotations