Another Jensen Interceptor

Show off your Megajolt installations, vehicles and action shots here!

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Basil McKinley

Another Jensen Interceptor

Post by Basil McKinley »

1970 MkII with stock E-Series Chrysler 383 10:1 compression.

Initial results look promising. Yet to do:
- more tuning
- implement latest version 3 upgrades
- convert RVI tacho to read MJLJ tacho output

Suspect that additional engine cooling will be required in order to be able to optimize spark advance and AFR. Cold air inlet is not easy to implement on these cars.
Attachments
The VR sensor mount picks up the water pump mounting bolts.  The commonly used VR sensor with cranked end connection did not fit so I used one from an Australian EF Falcon with straight connection.  I bored the 36-1 wheel for heat shrinking onto the back
The VR sensor mount picks up the water pump mounting bolts. The commonly used VR sensor with cranked end connection did not fit so I used one from an Australian EF Falcon with straight connection. I bored the 36-1 wheel for heat shrinking onto the back
VR sensor mount.JPG (118.1 KiB) Viewed 12559 times
The coil pack mount is made from 6mm Aluminium and bolts to the original coil mounts on the inlet manifold.  A cheap 2nd hand distributor was cut down to fit under the coil packs and is required to retain the oil pump drive shaft in position.
The coil pack mount is made from 6mm Aluminium and bolts to the original coil mounts on the inlet manifold. A cheap 2nd hand distributor was cut down to fit under the coil packs and is required to retain the oil pump drive shaft in position.
IMG_4702_1.JPG (151.96 KiB) Viewed 12559 times
The EDIS module is mounted on a bracket forward of the radiator mounts away from the prodigious engine bay heat.  The MJLJ is mounted in the glove box.
The EDIS module is mounted on a bracket forward of the radiator mounts away from the prodigious engine bay heat. The MJLJ is mounted in the glove box.
Coil Pack Install_1.JPG (129.93 KiB) Viewed 12559 times

Basil McKinley

Post by Basil McKinley »

Here's a picture of the car.
Attachments
IMG_0709_2_1.JPG
IMG_0709_2_1.JPG (126.28 KiB) Viewed 12558 times

britlude

Post by britlude »

let me know how you get on with the tacho, as on ours the tacho is the coil/distributer supply, no other wires going to the dizzy!
1937 hotrod, rover quad carbed 3.6ltr V8, v3.3.2 mjlj TPS
1972 Jensen Interceptor 7.2ltr chrysler V8 power.. V4 mjlj

bobclevenger

Post by bobclevenger »

Yeah, the Smith's tach is a current-driven type, not a voltage-driven one as is more common here in the USA. I believe MSD makes a tach-driver which should solve the problem. Or you can do what I did and replace the tach.

BTW, I have a 1972 Jensen SP (LHD) and am considering converting to a crank-triggered ignition system. I see that most have mounted the trigger wheel under the crank pulley. Does this cause belt alignment problems?

Electronically, this looks pretty straightforward. Are there any special tips for adding this to a MoPar 'B' engine?
...Bob

Basil McKinley

Post by Basil McKinley »

Hi Bob,
I got the tach working with the MJLJ output using Theo Smits conversion board. The movement in the Jensen tach has a lower resistance than the one in the Sunbeam Tigers that his design was based on so he did a modified board for me which worked well.

I didn't have any belt alignment problems because the position of the crank pully was not altered. I simply bored the Ford trigger wheel for a shrink fit on the 'body' of the pressed metal pulley. I put the pulley in the lathe to true it up but it was exceedingly true for a pressed metal item and only needed the merest skim to clean it up. I heated the trigger wheel up with the oxy and dropped it onto the pulley and ended up with a really good strong shrink fit.

There is nothing really tricky about fitting Megajolt to a Mopar big block, although space is of course limited in the Interceptor engine bay. PM me if you want more specific details,

Regards,
Basil

bobclevenger

Post by bobclevenger »

Well, I have all the needed parts and am in the beginning stages of getting another Jensen converted. I have designed a pretty neat VR sensor bracket for these Big Block MoPar engines and I am having the vibration damper toothed to serve as a reluctor wheel. I'll fit it on a spare engine that's on a stand and will be able to take some decent photos of the installation. I'll scan the drawing of the bracket and post that as well, but not until I check it out. :lol: The location of the coils remains to be determined as there is no coil bracket mounting position on the Six-Pack intake manifold. I think I will make a bracket that bolts to the front rail of the valley cover.
...Bob