Advance screwed up

General Topics for configuring, operating and tuning the Megajolt. Also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Operation_Guide">Operation Guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

seven

Advance screwed up

Post by seven »

I have a Megajolt JR on my Toyota 4AGE powered Locost seven. Yesterday it started not running, It would idle and accelerate properly out of gear. It would only run to 2500 RPM under load. After that the advance went from 10 degrees to 60 degrees instantly.

I am out of ideas! is the Megajolt heat sensitive? it is mounted inside of the car under the dash. Or can the EDIS be fouling up? Any input would be appreciated.

John Phoenix :cry:

cng1

Post by cng1 »

Check that your crank sensor alignment is still good and that your bracket hasn't got knocked out of line and the clearance is still good. Also check that the trigger wheel is still running concentrically. I've seen symptoms like you describe on the test bench where a wobbling wheel has been OK at low RPM but once the revs increase the oscillations can make it appear as though the missing tooth is elsewhere. A giveaway to this problem is RPM going mad on the PC whilst the engine is staying more or less stable.
Official Megajolt distributor for UK and Europe.
Complete Megajolt packages, EDIS kits, Trigger wheels and everything else you need for your megajolt install
www.trigger-wheels.com

seven

Crank sensor spacing.

Post by seven »

I notice that the sensor is about .125 away from the wheel, can that effect the performance? John

cng1

Post by cng1 »

Unless your trigger wheel is 12" in diameter 0.125" clearance would be a significiant issue. On a typical 4AGE you will likely be using a 5.75" trigger wheel, in which case your clearance should be about 1mm (approx 0.04") or less.
Complete Megajolt packages, EDIS kits, Trigger wheels and everything else you need for your megajolt install
www.trigger-wheels.com

seven

Picup spacing.

Post by seven »

I will reset the pickup tonight. I do not understand why the advance would go from 10 degrees to 60 degrees just off idle? That is really the problem. I suspect the Megajolt could be the problem.

cng1

Post by cng1 »

Very, unlikely to be the Megajolt in my opinion.

If the trigger wheel is eccentric then the waveform from the sensor goes from being seen as 35 teeth and one gap at rpm X and instead the wobble amplifies some teeth and damps some, making it look like a different tooth pattern with the missing tooth offset from the correct point. If your sensor gap is good then the module is less likely to confuse the EDIS system but if the alignment is already marginal then it is very likely to do the wrong thing.
www.trigger-wheels.com

seven

Sensor gap.

Post by seven »

Hi. I will go with that. I built the ring and adapted it to my front pulley on my lathe. Runout is under .005. With my setup I can change the position on the wheel. it is right on the proper mark at this time. I will set the gap at .035 and see what that does. I will let you knoe tomorrow. John

seven

Gap. on sensor

Post by seven »

I reset the sensor. Nothing different. The advance goes from 10 degrees instaltly to 60 degrees. The Megajolt is defective. I replaced the pickup, the coil pack, and the EDIS controller. I rewired the unit totally. The car will run at idle only.

I emailed Brant, no reply. As I am current on digital technology, I cannot fix the Megajolt. I would like to have Brant service it.

John in Phoenix. :cry:

cng1

Post by cng1 »

If you've been emailing Brent then I believe that he is still on vacation so give him a little while to get back to you as he is checking his emails from time to time.

In the mean time here is a simple test. Unplug the megajolt and just leave the EDIS module, crank sensor and coilpack in the loop. That should yield a fixed 10 degrees advance throughout the rev/load range. If you get a solid 10 degrees then the problem is with the megajolt, if you still have the 10-6degree issue then the problem can't be the megajolt itself.

I presume that the advance map in the megajolt itself still looks OK and when you have the computer hooked up is showing a sensible advance level when the timing light is putting out 60deg. Another quick check is to verify that your load sensor is working correctly - if you have a TPS system check that prodding the throttle down to the floor takes the little green highlight on the timing map all the way from the top of the map to the bottom and back again. If you have the MAP sensor system then verify that you get 100kpa (give or take a couple of kpa) with the ignition on but engine stopped and something like 30-40kpa with the engine idling.
www.trigger-wheels.com

seven

10 degrees

Post by seven »

Hi. I unplugged the Megajolt and it does the 10 degrees thinge. Doesn't run worth a damn. Only about 20MPH. I believe you on the Megajolt being defective. I really appreciate your input. I will take it out tonight and go through the assembly manual and look to see if I put it together wrong. I will let you know. Where are you located? John in Phoenix AZ

seven

Question for you.

Post by seven »

Cng1, Will the version 4 board fit in the box for the Version 2. Any wiring changes needed? Can I get it built and tested?

cng1

Post by cng1 »

The V4/Megajolt E use a different connector to the old V2 system. The Metajolt/E uses a different size board and thus case to the V4. The V4 and V2 cases I think are the same size but I couldn't swear to it. Brent would be best placed to answer when he is back from vacation.
www.trigger-wheels.com

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Sorry I've missed this post- John, I've replied to your email. Looks like Chris and I have been suggesting similar things (thanks for your help). Yes, ignition map should definitely be checked at this point before going further. The fact that the timing changes means that some sort of activity is occuring within the Megajolt unit.

Fortunately, I'm here visiting family in Phoenix, meaning I might be able to stop by and troubleshoot directly. That doesn't happen very often! :)
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

seven

Return Unit

Post by seven »

Brent, Can I sent the megasjolt back to you and have you test it? john [email protected]

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi John, just sent you an email. Thanks
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter