MAP Pressure, MED VR Sensor And Spark Plugs - A Series

General Megajolt Questions and Answers

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

JOCS

MAP Pressure, MED VR Sensor And Spark Plugs - A Series

Post by JOCS »

Have connected to the MJLJ when I first switched it on I noticed the pressure sensor goes to 250Kpa. Its not imediate happens over about 4s. Any ideas ? could this be a faulty sensor ? Have tryed connecting a tube to the Sensor blowing sucking down tube but it does not change the on screen reading. Verified everything else and seems to be working fine.

I have one other question I am using a magnetimarelli VR sensor I have had a timing light across the plugs on limp mode and the timeing seems to be a little unstable. I think this may be the battery which I am taking to get checked today (Voltage seems a little low). But has anybody used the MED sensor mount and wheel see picture. Not entirely sure that the sensor is in the correct position as the centerline is not exactly over the teeth and mesuring the AC across it when cranking it gives about 0.8VAC to 0.9VAC Any Ideas do I need to correct the alignment and machine the pillars down or is this ok ? It seems to fire the plugs ok in limp mode ok also I have tryed taking the plugs out and the VR sensor gives about 1.2VAC when freely turning over.

Can someone surggest the correct plugs to use on an A series ? currently have standard NGK BP6E I am guessing thier is a resistive alternate ?

Also where is it best to source the 12V feed for the Ignition from on a mini? I am toying rather then takeing it from the distributor feed (A temporary measure while I was testing) putting a relay in and wireing in a brand new feed (From the solonoid) that is switched via the ignition switch.

To many questions and to little time as always.

The Car is A Series 1310 Mini 1986.
Attachments
untitled.JPG
untitled.JPG (26.21 KiB) Viewed 6684 times

JOCS

Progress

Post by JOCS »

Have this afternoon wired up a relay and taken a feed from the solonoid. I believe haveing hooked up an oscilscope to the VR sensor that it is working fine.

When I have charged the new battery tommorrow will fire it up. Going to dismantle the Megajolt see if anything is obvoiusly wrong with the MAP sensor.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hello-

What reading do you see with the MAP sensor disconnected, in free air? Are you saying it happens over a period of time?
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

JOCS

Map Sensor

Post by JOCS »

Brent Now have the map sensor working was due to dodgy soldering (Reads exactly 100kPa and with pipe on bench have got it to change).
Apart from this I replcaed the oil pump while I had that end of the engine aparts and am now haveing fun a games getting it primed. Will post another reply when I have it running as have sorted all other problems this morning.
Do you or any mini owners have any comments on the type of plugs I should use with this engine ?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Glad you got it sorted out. You should definitely use resistor type plugs- other mini owners would advise better but the resistor equivalent of whatever was OEM specified would be a good start.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

cng1

Post by cng1 »

The direct equivalent would be bpr6e but I personally use (from memory) bpr7es as I buy them cheaply in bulk and use them on a couple of our vehicles.
Official Megajolt distributor for UK and Europe.
Complete Megajolt packages, EDIS kits, Trigger wheels and everything else you need for your megajolt install
www.trigger-wheels.com

JOCS

Post by JOCS »

Bought some plugs BPR6ES work fine could not find the 7 in the shop but will go for these when I go to the motor factors soon as the 6 is not really appropriate for my mini. Car is now running as of this afternoon. Played with the 1380 map from the forum. Seems to work ok from 900-2500rpm the idleing is a bit rough but this is probably down to the carb (Old and badly due replacement even the full serviceing kit has not fully restored it to working glory).
I am going to get a session on a friends rolling road booked up then sort out the tacho. I put another post in the Map at a latter time when it works also post the full engine spec. So people can use it if they have similar.