Endless timeouts!!!!

General Topics for configuring, operating and tuning the Megajolt. Also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Operation_Guide">Operation Guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

mikee

Post by mikee »

Rolling road booked for tomorrow,.... and guess what it's packed in again!!!!!... Timeout on every attempt.....

Checked everything again......nothing !!! I'm really starting to distrust this thing as i'm not sure it won't let me down 100miles from home...

Any suggestions?

Mike :cry: :x :evil:

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Sorry you are still having problems! Can you elaborate what exactly made it 'come alive' last time you 'fixed' it? it seemed there were some loose connections inside the enclosure, or on the connector?

Would you be able to repeat that to see if you can replicate the problem? Could be a marginal connection somewhere aggravating the situation.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

mikee

Post by mikee »

Hi Brent...Ithought it was the socket on the back of the mjl, but ive had a good look and it seems ok... I think i may just solder the lead straight on to the circuit boardand try that.... nothing to loose ,I guess!

Does that sound ok?

Mike

mikee

Post by mikee »

I,ve just tested the continuity of all the wires right through to the circuitboard and everything is good...But still timeouts!

Is there anything on the circuitboard that is know to pack up?

mike

mikee

Post by mikee »

Hi Brent.....Well i've just about lost patience with this .... i've spent a fortune on it and countless hours....for nothing!

I've be checking the other postings and it seems loads of people have been having the same problems!!

Mike :evil: :cry: :evil: :cry: :evil: :cry: :evil: :cry: :evil: :cry: :?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Mikee,

So the classic timeout issues largely revolve around incompatible USB-Serial adapters and the ability for the software to communicate with the PC- a lot of this is out of our control, considering how many different 'adapters' are out there.

In contrast, from your earlier posts it seems that there might be something deeper going on- since your engine was running at fixed 10 degrees (limp home), when you last observed problems.

Thanks for hanging in there, We're looking around to see if we can get someone in your locale to inspect your unit more closely!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

mikee

Post by mikee »

I've just emailed the guy who built this one ....He's fairly local (30 miles) in Bristol to see if he can check it.

Would you believe my new timing light has decided to stop working also!!!! :? :shock:

Mike .....Somerset uk

Spockie-Tech

Post by Spockie-Tech »

If it makes you feel any better, its not just Megajolts that suffer from crappy serial port problems.

I have just finished fixing a CAD system where the big pen-plotter was giving no end of trouble. The manufacturer installed a PCI Serial Port card on the computer since they had had trouble in the past with USB-Serial Adapters not working.

The plotter still intermittently threw a wobbly and started drawing lines all over the place. We found a cable for the serial-port built in to the motherboard, which still did the same thing ! So, I took in 2 different brands of USB-Serial Adapter.. The First one caused the plotter to stop working after 5 seconds, and *finally* the second brand of USB-Serial Adapter (a CH340) solved the problem and it is now plotting fine.

I have seen the same issues with Fuel Injection Computers, Microprocessor programmers and all sorts of other serially connected peripheral equipment. It seems that because serial ports are such rarely used things on PC's these days, that most of the manufacturers just dont put any effort into getting them *right* and there is huge variation in what is supposed to be a "standard" port spec.

Usually the fault is with the computer ports being out of spec, not the external equipment.

NITROPIXIE

Post by NITROPIXIE »

Mikee, you can post your megajolt unit to me if you want and i'll go over it for you free of charge. I have sorted a few out on here already.

I'll PM you my address details and I should be able to turn it round in a fortnight. I have spare chips and the likes if they require replacement. I'll also update/reinstall your firmware for you.

Ryan
1310 A-series Mini, lightened and built myself. V4 board and loving it

Rasputin22 - The Mini Forum
Rasputin22 - MK1 Golf Forum

Megajolt repair for the UK available

mikee

Post by mikee »

Thank for taking a look Nitropixie .... you certainly know your stuff! it's now working perfectly..

Thanks to all for your patience....I am so greatful for all the help i've recieved in sorting things out...Rolling road will be booked next....

Mike :D :D

NITROPIXIE

Post by NITROPIXIE »

Glad to be of help Mikee, any future problems then don't hesitate to ask and we hope you enjoy using your unit

Ryan :wink:
1310 A-series Mini, lightened and built myself. V4 board and loving it

Rasputin22 - The Mini Forum
Rasputin22 - MK1 Golf Forum

Megajolt repair for the UK available

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Thank you Ryan! And thanks Mikee for working through this with us! :)

Please keep us posted on the results of your Rolling Road session.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter