Strange serial connection issues

EDIS and Megajolt installation related topics. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide">Vehicle installation guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

JamesC

Strange serial connection issues

Post by JamesC »

I have my Megajolt up and running. The EDIS works in limphome and the Megajolt controls the advance when connected.

However my issues arise when connecting via serial (USB adapter)

It seems to get runtime data intermittently - every once in a while it will work for a second or so. It will download the controller options, also every once in a while.

When connected up to a terminal program pressing C and S gives me a random reply.

I thought maybe the firmware might be corrupt - but I can't flash it as it hangs waiting for ACK (first line)

The USB adapter is known to work with both my Megasquirt and my LC-1 Wideband perfectly.

My MJLJ is a V4 bought direct from Autosport Labs earlier in the year - I am using the latest software. I am guessing that I need to use the latest - 4.0.2

Any ideas anyone?

James

cng1

Post by cng1 »

Chances are that it is your USB adaptor that is at issue. Try it on a machine that has a real serial port and I'll bet that it works properly.
Official Megajolt distributor for UK and Europe.
Complete Megajolt packages, EDIS kits, Trigger wheels and everything else you need for your megajolt install
www.trigger-wheels.com

NITROPIXIE

Post by NITROPIXIE »

Can you get hold of a computer/desktop with a dedicated serial port to test and prove the megajolt units work correctly???
1310 A-series Mini, lightened and built myself. V4 board and loving it

Rasputin22 - The Mini Forum
Rasputin22 - MK1 Golf Forum

Megajolt repair for the UK available

NITROPIXIE

Post by NITROPIXIE »

snap chris, lol ;)
1310 A-series Mini, lightened and built myself. V4 board and loving it

Rasputin22 - The Mini Forum
Rasputin22 - MK1 Golf Forum

Megajolt repair for the UK available

JamesC

Post by JamesC »

Yup - just checked it on the desktop machine with a real serial port and it works fine - as expected.

I knew it was working fine because it's kind of half working for a second or so using this USB-Serial adapter.

Disappointing - every other serial device (and I am a bit techy) works perfectly with my Windows 7 laptop and either it's built in serial adapter (like Arduino) or via the Belkin USB-Serial adapter with the LC1 or Megasquirt... :(

James
Last edited by JamesC on Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cng1

Post by cng1 »

It just goes to show quite how subtle some of the USB-serial adaptor brokenness can be and why finding a good one can be a real pain.
Official Megajolt distributor for UK and Europe.
Complete Megajolt packages, EDIS kits, Trigger wheels and everything else you need for your megajolt install
www.trigger-wheels.com