Committing changes to flash

General Topics for configuring, operating and tuning the Megajolt. Also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Operation_Guide">Operation Guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

eric_f

Committing changes to flash

Post by eric_f »

So I got my Megajolt all hooked up and now I'm trying to change the values in the ignition map and it doesn't seem to be working :(
I'm using Windows XP in a VM on my Mac with a USB-Serial adapter from Belkin. I can read the information from the MJLJ it is working most of the time. It is intermittently unable to read values, but I try again and it works. When it's hooked up to the car the RPM and Ignition Advance gauges work perfectly, so I know there is communication between them.

I can write changes sometimes. I managed to change the cranking degrees from 12 to 8, but it took a few tries before the changes would take.
If I try and make changes in the ignition map and press "Write Configuration changes" it seems to do nothing and the "Commit changes to flash" is greyed out.
I will take a look at the 232 chip and the solder joints later, but in the mean time does anybody have any other suggestions?

Thanks
-Eric

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Eric,

Don't know about the XP running under a VM. have you tried other hardware configurations, such as a simpler PC environment?
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

eric_f

Post by eric_f »

I will see what I can do for other environments. I have tried my work PC, but it's windows 7 with no serial port and my Belkin adapter doesn't work :(
Most of my family has Macs, there isn't a lot of PCs around, and all of them are Windows 7.
I will see what else I can come up with though.

Thanks

eric_f

Post by eric_f »

Ok, so I found another computer with XP and a serial port, and it works :roll:
So I guess my USB-serial adapter only half works; I'll buy another.

Thanks anyways

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

which belkin model is it? I recall testing one that was a bit flaky. Drivers vary so much- and much of it is out of our control. hence, the suggested T-shirt theme I came up with :_)
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

eric_f

Post by eric_f »

It's the Belkin 5FU409. So I just ordered one off of ebay with a FTDI chipset.
But after I did that I remembered about Deal Extreme, I should have ordered from them.
They have them so cheap, I don't however know the chipset and if they will work or not.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Yes, that was the belkin model that was a problem child. Business end is kind of fat and with 3 LEDs?
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

eric_f

Post by eric_f »

You got it, all LED's flashing away saying they're trying to do something, but failing miserably.