Which spark plugs and ignition leads to use?

General Topics for configuring, operating and tuning the Megajolt. Also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Operation_Guide">Operation Guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Bulldog

Which spark plugs and ignition leads to use?

Post by Bulldog »

Hi all,

My set-up is working great in my old Range Rover. I need new ignition leads and spark plugs. I believe i need to use resistive type spark plugs. My question is, should i use spark plugs to suit the Range Rover engine (with a 0.8mm gap) or ones to suit the Ford coil packs (different plugs, with a 1.1mm gap)?

I am also having trouble finding new ignition leads (3 of mine are no good). Decent brands like Bosch want $800+ :shock: and the lengths won't even suit my setup :cry:
I've found someone local who will make some Magnecor leads for $240. I thought that was expensive for leads, but i'm quickly discovering they might actually be cheap. He has also suggested low resistance leads (300ohms i think) to suit running on LPG. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Peter.

cng1

Post by cng1 »

Resistive plugs are essential - look for the "R" in the part number to denote that they are resistive. Get spark plugs to suit your engine as they will have the correct heat range. With EDIS you can generally open up the plug gap but if your engine is running nice and cleanly as it is then stick with the factory gaps.
Official Megajolt distributor for UK and Europe.
Complete Megajolt packages, EDIS kits, Trigger wheels and everything else you need for your megajolt install
www.trigger-wheels.com

DannyP

Post by DannyP »

Get the right reach and heat range to fit your engine. If your car was on points and dizzy, you can probably open the gap a bit. I went from .028" to 050" with no problems. I also run non-resistor plugs, for the last 3 years, no problems.

Quagmire

Post by Quagmire »

Peter,

I am running resistive NGK plugs in my Rover 3.5 (9.35:1 comp ratio)- BPR6ES i think they are? No problems in the last couple of years of LPG running... Gapped to the upper limit of the Land-Rover specs.

I have heard many good things about these people http://www.fastlaneauto.co.uk/ - they will do a set of leads to your specification for about £50- you might want to drop them an email to see how much they would want to ship.
1984 3.5 LR 90
1959 2.25 LR Series 2