Rover V8 in MGB 'attempt number 2 with 3.2.1 (prev 3.0.0)'

General Megajolt Questions and Answers

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

duncan

Rover V8 in MGB 'attempt number 2 with 3.2.1 (prev 3.0.0)'

Post by duncan »

Hi, I bought the MJLJ kit in late 2006 and tried throughout 2007 to get it to run properly (3.0.0) -it never would run right, the engine would start and tickover but ran really rough no matter what maps I used and triple checking everything (used a brand new edelbrok carb and recon 3.5l engine). I gave up in 2007 and went back to my Lucas DLM8 distributor -it runs ok on this.

Having read a few topics it seems that version 3.2.1 may help solve some problems (noise?) and I am now willing to have another go at getting it to work (or reluctantly just strip out the installation and forget it -trying to explain the redundant coilpacks to MOT testers is wearing thin). One problem I am having straight away is I cannot download the updates for 3.2.1 (I have loaded and installed the configurator (it looks just like 3.0.0?)) -but if I try to download the rest it either just opens the files on a new webpage or doesnt allow you to save them properly...Am I missing something here? I really do want to get the system running finally but have failed at the first hurdle on my second attempt!

HELP!

Or, is there anyone in the UK who installs this kit/who will work on it, commercially? A guy called Matt Kimmons was prepared to have ago at it a few years ago but he moved and I lost contact with him...

Thanks.

Duncan, Lancashire, UK
V8 MGB

britlude

Post by britlude »

i take it the trigger wheel and pick-up is still on the car... if it is, you can set up the entire megajolt/edis side of things independant of the engine on a test board, and make sure everything works as it should before fitting it. you'll be using the car just to spin the trigger wheel! i did this and it made it all simpler to understand.

connect the edis with a long screened wire to the pickup, and connect the coil packs. wire up the 8 sparkplugs on a metal mesh/grid/bar/whatever, just make sure you know which is number one, as this is the one you are going to use the timing light on!

once the edis is wired and powered up, (12 volts from anywhere... ie the car, or seperate battery) fire the car up... the 8 plugs should sparkle like xmas lights! with the timing light connected to the the edis testboard/coilpack no1 you can see, hopefully, 10 degrees on the crank. rock solid..

to test the mjlj the same way, the tps or air pressure pipe needs to be factored in, but again, all the functions can be checked before hard wiring to the car...

another thing, as your car is running and behaving, note down the advance through the rev range to give you an idea of the figures the distributor is putting out ( I forgot to do this on mine, so effectively had no specific reference to start with..)

stick with it, it WILL be worth it! i couldn't believe how much better mine ran!! and I thought mine was running well!
1937 hotrod, rover quad carbed 3.6ltr V8, v3.3.2 mjlj TPS
1972 Jensen Interceptor 7.2ltr chrysler V8 power.. V4 mjlj